13

Adelaide's POV:

I had gotten up early to do a little bit of chemistry homework and (I admit it) look nice for Nathan and his sisters. Mostly his sisters but whatever. I had picked a white knee length dress with yellow flowers on it and some brown leather boots. I put some leggings on under it because it was chilly outside. It was ten already and Nathan wasn't answering any of my texts so I knew something was up. I went to his room and knocked on his door.

"Nate? We should get going soon." I stood there for a few more minutes. I heard thumping and footsteps.

"I swear Logan stop playing pranks on me..." I heard him mumble from behind his door. He yanked the door open. His hair was sticking up and he was only wearing burgundy soccer shorts.

"Oh. Hey, Adelaide. Um, what time is it?" He ran a hand through his hair and his voice was still thick with sleep.

"Ten. You look terrible. I'm coming in." I barged past him and sat on his bed.

"Are you sure you want to do that? I still need to shower. Can you pick out something nice for me to wear?"

"So I'm your maid now? Yeah, sure." I tried not to look as his exposed chest because it was awkward enough that I had woken him up and we were going on a pretend date. His shoulder looked a little bit better but the bruise was still black and blue around the edges.

"You can use my computer if you want." He yawned and grabbed a towel from the floor and shut the bathroom door. I heard the shower start and a yelp.

"I'm okay! Just stepped on my shampoo bottle!" I heard him yell from the bathroom. I rolled my eyes and went to his closet. I picked a forest green dress shirt and grey pants with a nice leather jacket. My eyes went to his bedside table as his phone vibrated. Just out of curiosity I picked it up and looked who was texting him. It was Victoria. It said 'hey sexy what are you doing this morning?'

I shrugged it off. Nathan already warned me about her. She was probably just being clingy again. I scrolled through his previous messages and found multiple conversations between him and Victoria. I didn't have the heart to look through them. I heard the door open and I threw the phone on the table. Nathan was still wearing his White Point shorts and drying his hair with a towel as he stepped out of the bathroom.

"What'd you pick for me?" I handed him the clothes and he stepped back into the bathroom. He came out again with a toothbrush in his mouth, foam everywhere. "Thanks for waiting."

"No problem. I love free breakfast." I could tell he just put on cologne because when he walked past to grab his jacket I could smell it. "All right. Let's go." He smiled and held the door open for me.

As we were driving to the restaurant I still couldn't figure out why Nathan would be texting Victoria. It didn't matter because we weren't going out any way but I still felt jealous. I had thought that Nathan really liked me and respected the fact that I wasn't ready for a relationship right away.

"Hey, is something wrong?" Nathan looked over at me with concern written on his face.

"Nope." I snapped out of my daze and saw we were at the restaurant.

"Ivy and June should already be inside. Oh, and if we want them to believe that we're going out we should probably act like it." He grabbed my fingers and interlocked them. It felt nice to hold Nathan's hand. So warm and secure. We found Ivy and June's table which of course was a booth. I was squished inside the booth with Nathan on the outside.

"So this is the beautiful girl that we've heard so much about!" I think it was Ivy that said it. Naturally I blushed and Nathan nudged me with his knee under the table.