9

There were only a few students staying at the school for the break so Matt let them move into the main building. The apartments were for the parents who paid top dollar for a bit of extra privileges and for their kid to stay in the main building instead of the dorm setting. There were a couple ones that weren't being used but seeing as Adelaide was the only senior girl she got her own while Nathan had to share with a couple of other football guys. Logan was staying as well but Chase had driven home. Adelaide was just unpacking a box when she heard a knock on the door.

"Hello?" Nathan opened the door and sat on the bed.

"Hey." She looked at him and hung up a couple shirts in the closet.

"Can I, uh, take you out tonight? I mean, as friends of course." Nathan looked nervous.

"Sure." Adelaide shrugged.

"Oh."

" 'Oh' what?" She turned around and sat on the desk.

"I didn't think you were going to say yes." Nathan looked down and ran a hand through his hair.

"What does this 'taking out' entail?" Adelaide tried not to laugh at him.

"I don't know I didn't really get to that part yet. I was just hoping you'd say yes." Nathan blushed.

"Your so silly." Adelaide said jokingly.

"Pick you up in half an hour?" Nathan stood up and leaned on the door frame.

"Whatever." She watched him leave.

"Did you bring a jacket? I have an extra one in the back if you need it." Nathan stopped his truck and checked the time.

"I brought one. Where are we going exactly?" Adelaide got out of the truck and looked at the angry dark clouds.

"Around."

"Being mysterious now are we?" She smiled and pulled on her forest green beanie.

"Don't worry I won't get lost." They had stopped at the football fields, but Adelaide knew where they were going already. Behind the bleachers was the riding trail in the forest for the horses but could easily be used as a walking path as well.

"Come on." Nathan held out his hand and motioned her into the trees. They walked for a bit in silence.

"Is it all right if I hold your hand?" Nathan shoved his hands in his jeans' pockets awkwardly.

"No. You said as friends. You should warn me if your going to do that." Adelaide looked at him.

"So if I ask you ahead of time I can?" Nathan prompted as they started walking back to the truck.

 "Nathan, you're really going to have to be persistent if you want me to say yes."

"Ok. Do you want to watch a movie at your room later? I heard the cafeteria is still open so I can take you for supper."

"Ok. I'm sure you won't mind if we don't watch a chick flick."

"I actually like the occasional romance movie. What'd you have in mind?"

"I found some movies from Logan that I haven't seen before so I'll let you pick this time."

"This time? More movie nights? And why did have Logan have chick flicks?" Nathan raised an eyebrow.

"I'll think about it. I have no idea why Logan had those movies." She smiled.

"Do you ever want to talk about your parents?" He blocked the way to the truck.

"When I'm ready I'll let you know."

"You really like to take your time don't you?"

"Yes. I make better decisions that way."

"Why don't you just wing it and see how it turns out?"

"Because I'm not like that!" Adelaide said. "Nate?"

"Yeah?" Nathan stopped in front of the main building.

Adelaide started to get out of the truck but turned around and wrapped her arms around Nathan's neck.

"Whoa! What'd I do to deserve this?"

"Thanks for caring." She mumbled.

"No problem. I don't mind."