11

Adelaide's POV:

It was now a regular occurance that Logan, Chase and Nathan would seek me out in the cafeteria. Jennifer and Aria had always sat with me occasionally but it was just weird that Nathan's friends would want to sit with me. It was almost the middle of the first semester and all of the sports teams were just starting tournament season and the guys had crazy schedules. Logan and Chase sat down across from me and Nathan sat next to me.

"So... are you going to come and watch my football game tomorrow?" Nathan looked at me hopefully.

"I guess so. I have nothing better to do." I shrugged.

"Ouch. Well, that's better than a no." Nathan smiled. He handed me a laminated pass on a lanyard.

"What's this?"

"It's an all access pass so you get one of the seats right by the bench, free concession privileges, stuff like that." He blushed a little bit.

"Oh. I love free concession food!" I liked poking fun at him because his reactions were so funny. "Just kidding. Thanks Nate." Jennifer plunked down her tray next to me.

"Seriously you guys. You should just start going out already! You're practically a couple." Jennifer rolled her eyes. Nathan and I both blushed and I had to move over so I was squished up next to him to make room for Jennifer.

"Jdn! That's not a good reason." I took a little carton of curly fries from her tray and she didn't even notice.

"I have to go. Captain's only meeting in the gym." Nathan picked up his gym bag and jogged out of the cafeteria.

"Thanks a lot you guys. That wasn't very nice." I kicked Jennifer.

"You couldn't make him mad even you wanted to Laidy." Chase grinned at me and I rolled my eyes.

"Since you're all in the game tomorrow I'm forced to go. I can't even make up a good excuse." I put my tray away and walked to my next class with Logan and Jennifer.

"Remember your White Point apparel! It'll impress Nathan!" Chase yelled from down the hall. I laughed and went into the library to start a history report.

*

It was the night of the game and it had been raining steadily all day. Because Nathan had given me the all-access pass I was under a sheltered area along with the team. The football team came out onto the field and everyone cheered. I don't like to go to sporting events usually but I had been making some exceptions lately. I smiled and looked down and my burgundy and grey White Point Eagles sweater that I had 'borrowed' from Nathan.

At the start of freshman year everyone had ordered school spirit wear and being the girl who hated sports I had no need for it. I had thought about ordering some now but the football team passes it out and Nathan didn't need to know I was ordering it just for his games. When he was training in the weight room the other day I snuck into his room to return a DVD and stole some sweatshirts and shorts and things. He had tons of that kind of stuff because he had been so involved with sports over the years. He came over and sat on the end of the bench next to me.

"Hey. I didn't think you'd actually come." He squirted some water in his mouth.

"Well, here I am!" I smiled.

"It's almost time for me to go on the field. See you at half time?"

"Yeah. That'd be nice." I said not being sarcastic for once.

"Can I have a kiss for good luck?" He asked unabashed, not even blushing.

"In your dreams, Page." I laughed and slipped my hands into the pocket of Nathan's fuzzy sweater.

"How about a hug then?"

"Sure." I awkwardly hugged him with all of his clunky football equipment. "Go get 'em." He smiled and jogged onto the field. I got myself a warm pretzel and a Diet Coke and pretended to be interested in the game even though I didn't know anything about football.

The first and second quarter dragged on and I didn't know if I would be able to make it through the second half. Chase and Logan were on the field most of the time, Aria was studying for a test and Jennifer had a swim meet this weekend so I didn't even have anyone to talk to. Half-time was just starting and it was about fifteen minutes. Nathan ran over to dump his sweaty helmet on the bench, just to run off to the locker room for a team meeting.

The third quarter started and I made an effort to watch Nathan play in case he asked how I liked it afterwards. I figured out that he was #12 and mostly threw the ball. The other team was just from down the road and our schools rivals for sports. Zach went to that school but since he only played basketball I didn't think to ask him if he was going to be here. The Eagles were winning by a few points but I figured that was only because Nathan was the quarterback.

The Brentwood Knights were a good team and I was surprised that they weren't smoking us right now. Nathan was tossed the ball and made a move to throw it but was smashed hard into the ground by a Knight player. He didn't get up and the coach motioned for some medics. He stood up and I saw that he was favouring his right arm. I got up and crawled around the other team mates that were on the bench. The coach was assessing his injuries. I took off his helmet and held it under my arm.

"Are you his girlfriend?" The coach stared at me. I started to protest but he cut me off.

"Go help him take off this equipment and take him to the nurse. I don't think its anything serious but I don't want him playing for the rest of the game. I can get someone else to fill in for him."

"Coach, I can play the fourth quarter. Just let me sit out for the rest of the third. Please."

"I admire your talent and dedication but I don't want you injuring that shoulder anymore. We'll be fine without you. Go take care of yourself, Page." The coach clapped a hand on his uninjured shoulder.

I led Nathan to the Eagles locker room to help him take off his football stuff. He hadn't said anything and I could tell that he was really hurt. I had managed to get off his jersey and the shoulder pads but he winced in pain every time he moved his shoulder. I sent him into the closed shower area to change his pants. He came back with his jeans on and the grey football t-shirt he wore underneath his pads. He ran a hand through his blonde hair and clenched his jaw. He had grass and mud all over.

"Oh, Nathan. What am I going to do with you?"

"It hurts, Laidy." A look of pain flashed across his eyes. I hugged him gently, making sure not the jostle his shoulder.

"Do you want to have a shower now or later? You smell really bad."

"Later. So if I start crying I can do it in the comfort of my own bathroom and still retain some of my manhood." He gave me a watery smile and handed me his bag. I put my arm around him and we walked back to the dorms together.

"Movie in the lobby later? Everyone will be at the party later after the game and you look like you could use some down time." I handed him a clean shirt.

"Sure. Can I pick this time?"

"Yeah. See you downstairs. Don't kill yourself in the shower." I smiled at him, trying to make him feel better. Out of sheer impulse I kissed him on the cheek. I blushed and ran out of his room.

I picked some superhero movie out of my vast collection from Logan. I grabbed an icepack from the office and convinced the cafeteria ladies to let me have some snacks for free. Nathan walked out of the elevator and sat next to me. I offered him the ice pack and he smiled in return. He picked up the DVD case with his good arm.

"Captain America? I've seen this billions of times but it's one of my favorites." I started the movie and pulled Nathan closer to me. He rested his head on my shoulder.

"How's your arm?"

"It's holding up. Did you like the game?"

"I have to be honest with you, I know absolutely nothing about football."

"That's ok." He yawned. He laid down on the couch and put his head in my lap. "Is it all right if I sleep on you?"

"That's fine." I replied but he was already fast asleep.