Magic Sparks

Spinner's End, 1969

~ Severus Snape, Age 9 ~

I woke up early that morning to go to my usual tree to watch the witch girl who was admittedly, sort of beautiful. I showered, dressed and ate some Cheeri Owls for breakfast ( my favourite wizard cereal ).

I started creeping out the door hoping to avoid my father Tobias Snape who was a drunk, my father and disgusted of me going to Hogwarts when I heard snuffling noises from him from his room and I froze.

I felt my body tense and my veins freeze into ice unable to move, ready for a yelling fit and/or a beating. I then heard him start to snore again and I opened the latch of my door, headed out and shut the door quietly behind me. I ran towards my gnarled tree beside the play structure where the pretty girl and her rather weird looking sister would play. I glanced down a blush spreading on my face. I had put on my large black overcoat and my mom's blouse beneath to try to impress the pretty girl.

I had learned over time that the girls name was Lily Evans. She had red wavy hair and her eyes, just wow. Her eyes were almond-shaped and the colour green, like sparkling emeralds that always seemed to have a spark of mischief in her beautiful eyes. Lily's sister was named Petunia. She always had her brown-black hair in a bun and a checkered pattern dress that I always wondered she wouldn't take off that ridiculous dress 'cause it has no style.

I had learned recently that Lily was a witch and she didn't know because her parents were muggles, non-magic folk. She could leap over rivers without breaking a sweat and I knew, I had to say something today. There was no alternative; she needed to know.

I watched from the gnarled, bumpy oak tree as the two girls come running and swinging on the swings and talking about who's doing what chores, which baffles me and then I remember: neither of Lily's parents' are witches or wizards.

Here's the plan I've had for awhile to tell Lily she's a witch. I'm going to let Lily do her magic that she doesn't know about, come out of my hiding spot smoothly and explain that she's a witch, tell her I'm a wizard and my mom's a witch as well, then explain the funny things witches can do and things about spells, Hogwarts ( School of Witchcraft and Wizardry ) and answer any questions she has.

I grin at my own plan when I see Lily jump from a high height from the swing, do a little twirl in the air and faced Petunia with what I believe is a triumphant grin.

I watch as Petunia, who is facing me slows her swing, stops it and coldly snips at Lily. "Mummy says you're not allowed to do that, Lily!"

"It's fun." Lily shrugs but I see her nod and the two sisters start walking towards the bank of the small stream.

"It's unnatural." Petunia says her pale eyes narrowing but I see her sneak a slight look of envy as she looks at her sister once in awhile.

"I don't know how I do it either." Lily shrugged off her sisters' jealousy and anger. "I guess it just comes to me."

"Comes to you?" Petunia seemed to not drop this subject lightly and I could tell Lily was angry slightly but she still answered Petunia.

"Well, I just think what I want it to do and it just sort of does it." Lily tried to explain it.

"Just does it?" Petunia pressed.

"Why do you care?" Lily asked somewhat defensively. "If you want I can prove it!"

I smirked wanting this Petunia girl to be burned to ashes because she seemed to be annoying Lily.

"Me care? Care?" Petunia glared at Lily. "I don't care!"