The Sorting Ceremony

Edited by mi-corazon-es-tuyo

| | Severus Snape | |

While we were in the boats, Hagrid led us from the Black Lake towards the huge, magnificent, golden-lighted castle.

"All righ', firs' years this way!" Hagrid rowed a few more strides before heaving out of his boat.

We all climbed out of our boats as well and headed inside. The two rowdy boys who made fun of me pushed past Lily and me, which made me furious. I clenched my fists and started to retort after them, but Lily touched my arm and whispered, "They're not worth it." That comforted me a lot (not sarcasm).

We placed our trunks in the Entrance Hall and saw the hourglasses with no gems, which my mother had told me about.

'How will dad react when he figures out mom let me leave? Will he abuse her more?'

I felt nervous and excited energy radiating through me; nervous energy for where I would be sorted and my mother's wellbeing, and excited energy for being at a new place with my best friend.

"Come on then, quiet please." Hagrid led us up a two-flight staircase where a stern-faced woman with a pointed black hat, green robes, and pursed lips stood before double glass doors.

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," Hagrid disappeared behind the glass doors and the stern-faced woman, Professor McGonagall, nodded.

She faced us and clasped her hands. "Potter!" she shouted at one of the rowdy boys with the crescent shapes glasses and stupid, fat face who froze at his surname. "Quiet!"

Potter mock bowed, and when Professor McGonagall looked away he smirked and began whispering to his friend again.

"Now, before you meet your classmates you will be sorted into your houses. They are Hufflepuff, Gryffindor, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Triumphs will earn you points and rule breaking will cause you to lose points. The House Cup will be awarded at the end of the year to the house with the most points," Professor McGonagall continued, and Potter shut up. "The Sorting Ceremony shall begin momentarily."

She disappeared through the doors and everyone began whispering excitedly about what house they would be in.

"Say, Sirius? I think I'll be in Gryffindor, maybe I'll show few thick headed Slytherins how to back off from being a total loser," Potter drawled loudly to his friend.

"Yeah, sounds good."

'Was it just me or did they look at me? If so, why did they care about me being in Slytherin? What had I done?' I wondered.

"SIRIUS ORION BLACK!" Narcissa screeched, stepping towards him. "You're a traitor, you rotten little brother! Even Regulus isn't as much of a jerk as you!"

"Shut up!" Black spat.

For some reason, I did not feel compassion for Black; merely a feeling like a magnetic attraction that he deserved to be shouted at and perhaps more.

Narcissa opened her mouth, but Professor McGonagall appeared an instant later with a yellow scroll in her hands. "We're ready for you all, follow me."

We followed her as the glass doors swung open. Lily and I both gasped instinctively.

The place looked wonderful. Four long, vertical, mahogany tables with students with black pointed hats, different coloured ties and black robes sat at each table. At the front I saw a long, horizontal, mahogany table with older wizards and witches who I assumed were the staff. I recognized the Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, with his greying beard, red pointed hat and purple cloak, just as Mother had described him.