Chapter Thirteen

Chapter thirteen: Moody much?

"What?" All of us yelled at the same time. Damn, leukemia is pretty serious, considering it's a form of cancer.

Tears stung my eyes and I refused to cry. I have to be strong for Chantelle. Even though her parents (including her father) was drowning in their own tears, I still refused to cry.

Chantelle smiled at all of us. It wasn't a happy smile, it was a sad smile that broke my heart. She was probably wanted to scream right now but instead she smiled.

"How long do I have?" Chantelle asked looking down at her lap. I couldn't take it anymore.

I hobbled out of the room with tears streaming down my face. I couldn't let Chantelle see me cry, I have to be strong.

"Misty! Wait!" Asher called from behind me. I wiped the tears off and I turned around to face him. He looked worried and his eyes were glossy. I didn't know he and Chantelle were close enough for him to cry over her. He pulled me into hug but didn't hug back. Instead I cried into his chest.

"It's okay, she'll be alright." He said soothingly as he stroked my head.

"But s-she has l-leukemia, she can die!" I replied and then I cried harder. "She won't be okay!!!"

I pulled away and I hobbled as fast as I could to the parking lot and then I remembered that I can't drive. So I started to walk outside in the rain.

I eventually made my way to the bus stop because we had to take the highway to get to the hospital.

"Need a ride?" A familiar voice asked me.

I looked up to see my brother grinning at me like he was my saving grace. Oh joy.

It was either ride with him because he had heat in his car or be only with my thoughts. What to choose, what to choose.

I slowly got up from my spot and I walked over to his janky pickup truck that his got for his 16th birthday. I got a car, I don't know what it is because I hardly pay attention to what car it is. Instead I pay attention to the better cars, like Asher's.

Asher. I left him in the hall and he didn't run after me again. He probably thought I needed time to think. But it's raining outside and he knows I can't drive.

Asshole!

Moody much?

"Whoa what happened to you?" Nathan said breaking me from my thoughts. I rolled my eyes as I carefully placed my crutches and myself in the car.

"Nothing? Why are you in town?" I asked ignoring his gaze. Shouldn't he be looking at the road?

"Wellllll, I thought to myself why be in class all the way in Florida when I can be with my family in Seattle!" He said nonchalantly.

"You dumbass! You can fail your classes if you're not, I don't know, IN CLASS!" I yelled at him. Plus he goes to college in FLORIDA! How much money does he have to pay for plane tickets? And who picked him up from the airport?

"Misty. I need you to listen and listen to me good. Chill the fuck out!" He said stopping the car at the red light.

"Who picked you up from the airport?" I asked staring at the side of his head.
"I drove here."

"How? I thought you left your pickup truck here last time you were here." I said staring at him in bewilderment.

"I took the pickup to Florida when I left." He replied taking off from the green light and getting on the highway. "And also, tell me what's wrong."