A Dinner to Remember

I change into a dinner dress and tie my hair into a curly updo. The dazzling blue dress just passes my knees, with a plunging neck. Mrs. Hodkins is taking us out for dinner to celebrate. I look out the window at the rain pouring down and suddenly hear a knock on the door. As I open it my stomach tightens.
"Mr. McBlock." I say.
"I have the first draft of the story." He says passing me pages of paper.
"How'd you know this was my room?"
"I asked the front desk."
"They don't normally give information -" Then I remember who I'm talking to. I'm sure he got the front desk to tell him.
"Are goig somewhere?" He asks, raising an eyebrow.
"I see Mrs. Hodkins start to round the corner and she's with Jade.
My eyes widen and I grab Mr. McBlock.
I quickly pull him I to the room and close the door.
"it you wanted me to come in you could've asked." He says charmingly.
"Oh shut up." I reply.
Then there's a knock on the door.
"Get in the closet, say a word and I'll...I'll slap you silly." I say and push him into the closet.
I open the door and see Mrs. Hodkins.
"Are you ready?" She asks, lookig around.
"Almost I'm just not feeling great you know what I mean..." I lie.
"Oh, you poor thing we'll wait for you down in the lobby. Come if you feel up to it." She says then walks away.
I quickly close the door and lean against it.
"I really didn't need to know that..." He smirks as he walks out.
"Oh shove it up -"
"Aloisia we're goig down now."
"Ok I'll be quick." I reply.
"I really don't like you." I say.
"Really? I didn't notice." He says.
"Don't let them see you!" I say as he walks out.
"And one last thing, why is your accent so funny?" I ask not really caring about his feelings.
"It's Scottish darling." He says, the I quickly nod and close the door, watching him walk to the stairs.
I take a deep breath and and lean against the door. Then I open the door and walk out.
~
As we're seated in the fanciest resturant I've ever been in Jade takes out her phone to take pictures. We all sit in the booth as she snaps pictures.
"Here." Mrs. Hodkins takes a picture of the three of us then we all sit.
"So how's the cover story coming along?" Mrs. Hodkins asks and the girls turn to look at me.
"Fine." I say.
"Have you received a rough copy?" She asks raising an eyebrow.
"Yes." I say quickly then shove the menu in front of my face.
"Oh, someone dropped it off?"
"Yes." I reply.
"Mr. McBlock?"
"Maybe."
"Oh."
"Don't worry its fine I'll read it tomorrow." I assure her.
"So you've met him." She says.
"Yes. But it's fine hes not really that good looking." I say.
Who am I kidding...he's extremely good looking.
"Well, look whose here." Says Mr. Farland as he walks up to the huge booth.
"Oh hello." Mrs. Hodkins says.
"Ladies this is Mr. Farland, the magazine publisher." Mrs. Hodkins exclaims.
"Actually Mr. McBlock is joining me for dinner...ah there he is."
Colin walked up to the table and pulls a chair beside Mr. Farland.
Jade and Karlee's mouths drop.
"Hello, I'm Colin McBlock." He says.
"I'm Karlee." She says smiling.
"I'm.....I'm." Jade stammers.
"Jade." Karlee finishes.
"It's so good to finally meet tge talented writer whose writing about Aloisia's book." Karlee says.
"Why thank you." He replies charmingly.
"It's nice to finally see who Aloisia been talking about, Mr McBlock." Jade says.
My eyes widened and I squish her foot under the table.
He laughs alittle then smirks.
"It's just Colin, and is that so?" He says.
"I'm afraid Jade is exaggerating, I've only mentioned you name about missing the lunch." I say.
Suddenly the band starts to play quick jazz and people start to dance.
"Uh...Karlee?" Mr. Farland says.
"Dance?" He says nervously.
Karlee smiles and takes his hand. They walk to the dance floor and start to dance to the quick jazz with the other dancers.
"I can't let someone with your beauty sit and watch. Would you like to dance?" He says to Jade.
My lips part as I roll my eyes and look away, shaking my head.
They stand, walk over to the dance floor and start to dance.
"Now what shall I order?" Mrs. Hodkins says inspecting the menu.
"I don't know..." I say leaning over and helping her choose, then we start to talk about other resturants. The whole time trying not to look at him.
After two songs they all come back and sit.
"Tired?" I ask slightly rolling my eyes.
"Oh Miss Vinner I can do alot more than dance with a woman and not be tired." He says sudectivly.
"Oh I'm sure you can." I reply with a bitchy smile.
He slightly smiles his charming smile and raises his eyebrow.
"I think we should order." Mrs. Hodkins says, nervously.
"Before they start -"
"Jade!"
~
After we eat we sit and talk for awhile. Then Mr. Farland invites Karlee to dance again.
Colin turns to me and before he can ask I reply.
"No." I say.
"One dance can't hurt." He says with his flashy smile.
I sigh and roll my eyes.
"Fine." I mutter and stand.
He takes my hand and pulls me to the dance floor. We follow the other dancers in a fast jazz dance. He quickly spins me into his arms then dips me. Everyone doing the same thing.
As I trip alittle he catches me and laughs. I want to roll my eyes but instead I smile. His eyes brighten as I smile, like he's acomplished something. Then I roll my eyes. As we walk back to the table the lights flicker, then turn off. Suddenly emergency lights turn on.
"Ladies and gentlemen because of the horrible storm our power has been lost, I suggest you go to the front desk and book a room for the night. These are not driving conditions and for everyone's safety you cannot leave the building." The loudspeaker announces.
Mr. Farland follows the mad crowd to the front desk to book a room.
"If you like Mrs. Hodkins you can stay with me." Karlee says politely.
"Thank you dear!" She exclaims and they stand and walk through the crowd to the staircase.
"I'm going to my room." Jade says then leaves.
I follow behind her, leaving Mr. McBlock at the table.