Chapter Six

"Lucas Hemmings what the hell have you done?" Luke's mother screamed as she got out of his car. It was now past midnight and we'd been standing on the highway for around half an hour since we'd crashed. Rushing over to us, Luke's parents where more than angry. They were absolutely fuming. Both faces where red and their body language was harsh.
"What happened?!" His father asked, looking down at the wreckage. "No one is hurt are they?"
"No, we're all fine mostly." Luke told them, head hung low in shame. Taking Luke's head in her hands, Luke's mother examined his face.
"I don't think you'll need stitches." She told him as she poked at the small cut on his eyebrow. It was only now that I noticed he was also covered in little bloody marks all over his bare arms and I realised it was probably from the smashed screen. My hands where also all cut up but thankfully my brother was completely fine.
"And who's this your with?" She asked, letting go of her son.
"This is Mila and her brother, I was driving them home." Luke told his parents, his voice barely above a whisper.
"I'm so sorry Mr and Mrs Hemmings, this is all my fault!" I would've went closer to them but Matías was clinging to me for dear life and had fallen asleep again with his head resting in his shoulder so I tried not to wake him. He didn't seem to have really realise what had happened and I wanted to keep it that way for now. "I shouldn't have distracted Luke whilst he was driving and I shouldn't have had anything to drink in the first place."
"No. It was my fault I should've been watching the road." Luke butted in, defending me.
"We'll work it out later, but honey I think you may need some stitches." Luke's mother told me. Walking over she have me the same examination she gave Luke. He'd managed to wrap my head in a bandage but because it was so old it had started to unravel. "That looks quite a deep slice."
"We'll take you to the hospital." Luke's father chipped in. For what had happened, they had calmed down surprisingly fast.
"Oh no, it's fine. I'll go tomorrow. I don't want to panic my brother anymore." I lied. Well not completely. I didn't want to scare Matías but I also didn't want to inconvenience them anymore than I already had.
"Honey, you need to go to the hospital now. Come on. We'll take you." Grabbing my arm gently, she ushered me over to the car and made me get in with my brother. Luke's father agreed to stay back and wait for the pick up truck to tow away my car and Luke's older brother would come pick him up. So it was my brother and I in the back seat, with Luke and his mother in the front.
"Do your parents know what has happened Mila?" She asked as she drove the car.
"No they're out of town. I'll phone then when I get to the hospital." I explained.
"Okay. Now Luke tell me what happened." As he explained to his mother what happened I started to zone out, only now realising what has actually happened. We were lucky to be alive, that could have been a lot worse.

The hospital was only a ten minute drive and we arrived in what felt like no time. Luke's mother found a parking space and I gently woke my brother.
"Where are we?" He grumbled, rubbing his eyes.
"We're at the hospital, but it's okay. I'm just going to get a sore bit on my face sorted." I explained, guiding him out the car and shutting the car door firmly.
Following Luke and his mum into the A&E unit was scary. Friday night was prime time for people to be out in full force and getting into accidents. All around, drunk people shouted abuse at each other as they bled from their knuckles, in came people with handcuffs, people with broken bones and people like us stuck in the middle of it all.
Going up to the front desk, Luke's mum told the receptionist what happened whilst I was given a medical form to fill out. Handing it back to the woman, she called on a doctor and I was directed to the A&E rooms. I say rooms; it was metal bars attached to the ceiling that where separated into rooms by flimsy blue curtains.
"I'll be back with you in a little while." The doctor told me before sliding the curtain shut and pushing out some of the noise. Matías was still sleepy and I sat him down in a comfortable cream coloured chair in the corner so he was able to fall back to sleep. I sat on the bed, whilst Luke's mother took the other chair and Luke leaned against the white brick wall.
"Maybe you should phone your parents now Mila?" Suggested Luke's mum. I nodded and pulled out my phone. Terrified, I dialled my mums number and listened to it ring. A few seconds later she picked up and I felt the blood drain from face.
"Mila, sweetheart, why are you phoning me? Are you okay?" My mothers frantic, high pitched voice came through the phone.
"Hey mum," I replied nervously. I'm glad I sobered up a bit since the last phone call. "There's been a slight accident."
"Accident? What kind of accident?" I heard my father question her in the back ground.
"A car accident, but don't worry we're both okay!"
"Mila Mills, what have you done? Where's Matías?!"
"He's right here beside me. He's absolutely fine."  I explained. I could feel tears brimming in my eyes at the thought of my panicked mother. "I'm so sorry, I never meant for any of this to happen."
"Mila, tell me! Where are you?"
"I'm at the hospital. I've got a big cut in my face, but I promise Matías is okay. He doesn't have a scratch on him." Tears spilled down my cheeks and dripped onto my legs.
"Who are you with? Was anyone else in the car with you?" I could hear my mother pacing.
"Yes, I wasn't driving but it was my fault! I'm here with Luke and his mum."
"Put Luke's mother on please." She demanded and I handed over the phone to Luke's mum. Taking the phone and leaving the little room, she went away explaining. Looking over at my little brother, I found that he was fast asleep and I sighed with relief. He was okay.
"Hey, you okay?" Luke asked me, breaking the silence even though it was is busy outside.
I shrugged my shoulders in response, tears still falling.
"You okay?"
"Just a little shaken up." Luke replied and I nodded; agreeing with him. The atmosphere was sort of awkward like it was when we had first gotten into the car but this time I didn't feel like yelling at him. Then Luke did what was something I'd never think of in a million years. He sat down beside my on the bed and wrapped two, long arms around me so that I was enclosed in his chest like a piece of treasure. I could hear his heart beating fast and though we had been standing outside for a while, Australia was rarely ever cold and so he was still warm. I was slightly confused but I didn't question it. Although it was the boy I hated, it was also the boy who'd just gone through the same traumatic experience as me and somehow I felt connected to him by that. Forgetting about the last few years, all I done was hug him back in the hope that this wasn't some sort of sick joke.
The funny thing was, I don't think it was because when I hugged him tighter; droplets of water landed on my messy brown hair and left it with a stain of someone's soul.
Looking up I could clearly see it was Luke and I wiped his face with my hand gently. He smiled at me and I seen that little hint of cockiness as normal but it was a bit more genuine this time.
"Why did you drive me home Luke?" I asked nervously, no longer afraid of the answer.

~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you so much for the read omg it means so much!

Btw I'm only going on my own experiences with A&E in Britain so I really have no idea what it's like in Australia though I'm assuming it's the same?

Anyway what do u guys think will happen next?

Don't forget to vote and comment and give feedback on how I could improve this story and thank you so much again!

-ImJustFabu