9 [Twinks]

🌺

I poke at Jack's cheek, smiling at the information he's sharing with the table.

"The reason I'm bushing, Harry, if you must know, is because I got an 100% on my spanish quiz."

"I call bullcrap!" Hayes says, throwing a french fry at Johnson.

"Hayes, do you understand how bad french fries are for you?" Everyone groans at Harry's soon to be lecture. "There's so many calories, with little nutritional value. How can you let something like that intrude on the temple that is your body?"

"Enough with the health, Edward." Johnson giggles.

"Hey, that's your middle name too. Don't even start!" Harry replies.

"Okay, whatever. In reality, Jack may or may not be texting me and calling me cute."

"Jack Gilinsky?" Matthew and I inquire at the same time.

"Yes." We all coo at the growing blush on Jack's cheeks.

Chatter has erupted around the lunch table, but only a few people remain silent. Harry is looking down at his kale salad, obviously deep in thought, whereas Luke is staring at someone across the table. I follow his gaze and see that it's turned to Ashton. My eyebrow is raised in confusion at the hurt in his eyes. What made him so sentimental?

"Luke?" I snap him out of his daydream. "Are you okay?"

"What? Oh, um, yeah. I'm fine."

"Can you actually come help me with something? Like, at my locker?"

Luke nods, following me timidly as we walk away. I notice Ashton give us a quick glance, then look away as if he just performed a sin. I've never understood the relationship between those two, but I know it's best not to get involved. When we reach my locker, Luke finally looks up.

"Are you sure you're okay?" I ask, placing a hand on his broad shoulder.

"Yeah. I'm fine. Just, what did you need?"

"Well, um." I feel a blush coat my cheeks. "Taylor finally kissed me."

"That's great!"

"Yeah, but we were making out in hook up hallway-"

"Where that Teala Dunn girl got pregnant?"

"Yes, Luke. But anyways, we were making out and he tried to touch my butt and I flipped. I think he knows I'm still a virgin."

I whisper the last word, hoping to not draw attention to us. Luke's expression softens, once again drawing his lip ring between his teeth.

"You weren't ready, Shawn. There's nothing wrong with that."

"But Taylor thinks we did it, because I lied to him. If he finds out I lied, he won't like me anymore."

"Shawn, Taylor has been in love with you for over a year now. I doubt something so minuscule will wreck that."

"But like you know how I fell down the stairs and my bum hurt? Taylor thought it was because we did it."

"Shawn, you're overreacting!"

"I don't know. I just hope you're right."

As the two of us make our way back into the cafeteria, we hear two voices whispering down the corridor.

"I haven't come out yet, baby. My parents just don't know."

"Louis, you know I'd do anything for you. But I'm just not sure how much longer I can wait. Sneaking around like this is hard enough."