33 [Firsts]

🌺

When my phone buzzes at 6pm, I'm already halfway out of the door.  We had to move the date to Friday due to a series of school work and gang meetings. Taylor leans onto his black Nissan casually, looking up at me with a smile.  I can't help but return the smile, feeling especially beautiful as my navy skirt swishes around my thighs.  Taylor greets me with a kiss, one that's long and meaningful, before opening the passenger door for me.  As I sit down on the worn leather seats, I take a deep breath, thinking about the fact that I'm about to go on a date with the guy I love.

"You look beautiful, princess."  Taylor says softly.

"Thank you."  I don't try to hide the light blush dusting my cheeks. "So where are we going?"

"Look in the back seat."

I turn around in my seat and see a picnic basket and blanket. I can't help the laugh that bubbles in my throat.

"Tay," He hums in response. "It's 50 degrees out, how do you expect us to have a picnic outside?"

"Who said it has to be outside?"

<^><^><^><^><^>

About 10 minutes later, the two of us pull up to an old wooden barn , seemingly in the middle of nowhere. There's just empty space on all sides, only lush, beautiful grass.  I can't help but be a little disappointed, seeing as I hoped for something a little more extravagant. But that's selfish of me. Not everyone can afford fancy dates.

As we both get out of the car, Taylor walks over to me, grabbing my left hand in his right. I guess the confusion is broadcasted on my face seeing that Taylor laughs at my expression.

"I know it doesn't look like much, but follow me."

I nod, standing to the side as he swings the heavy red door open. We walk inside, rejoining our hands, and my jaw drops in awe. The barn is completely furnished with a rug, beanbags, and blankets galore. Space heaters line the floor, allowing the entire barn to be a comfortable temperature. The interior paneling still remains rustic, with open wood. However, what really catches my eye is the eccentric light fixture that illuminates the upper and lower level of the barn.

"Oh my god, Tay. What is this place?"

He sighs. "When my family had money, this used to be our little camping/vacation spot. After the arrests, the government never actually shut it down. I've been coming here ever since."

"It's absolutely beautiful."

"Thank you, Princess. Now how about some food?" He smiles down at me.

It only takes us a minute or two to spread out the blanket and distribute food. I practically moan at the brisket sandwich that melts in my mouth. It's surprisingly lavish to be eating sandwiches in the middle of nowhere in a barn. Our eating is filled with small talk and telling stories about our childhood.

"So how long have you known Harry?" Taylor inquires.

"Well since middle school I think. Our moms were in the same book club when I was about 11, so he was maybe 13. We were bored and kinda forced to hang out, so we became fast friends. He's been my brother ever since."