Chapter 1

Violet Baudelaire

I grabbed my shoulder bag and slung it over my shoulder as I tugged the collar of my auburn coat upwards. My heels made clicking noises on the hollow sidewalk, the surrounding eerily quiet as I tied my hair with my signature dark purple ribbon.

I looked down below, trying to hide my face as much as possible -- I did not want anyone from the treacherous side of V.F.D. see me walking towards my home, even though I knew that the Baudelaire-Quagmire Mansion was in the center of the city. No, I didn't want to risk any of my loved ones get hurt.

My mind was being troubled with my thoughts when I heard the soft crunching of shoes behind me. I did not dare look behind me, for might one notice me and I'd be in grave peril. I quicken my pace in a manner which I hoped he did not notice, to lose track of him.

The gut in my stomach was tightening when I realized the paces of the person behind me was also quickening. It only means one thing -- he was following me.

I started panicking on the inside, but I kept my chin up and walked. I then started re-tying the ribbon in my hair to help me think as I calculated the landmarks that were near my home. My eyes wandered from here to there, until I realized that there was a coffee place nearby.

I opened the door of the coffee shop, the bell on top of the doorway ringing as I did, and entered my way, straight to the girls' comfort room. I felt the person follow me, but hesitated when I went inside the bathroom.

Locking the door, I knew at once that there was a window in the girls' bathroom of the coffe shop for this was a place our mother used to take us on our free days.

I walked towards the window with the same fashion and inspected it. It was big enough for me to fit in, and so, I boosted myself on the toilet seat and placed one foot on the tissue roller as I grabbed the window's edge.

I then opened the sliding of the window and jumped out of the bathroom, landing onto the lid of a garbage can. Fortunately, I saw the person's shadow exit the coffe shop.

When I was sure that the coast was clear, I ran for my life towards the mansion which was now only one block away.

~*~

"I could have sworn a villainous person was following me Quigley." I told my husband, Quigley Quagmire, as I unbuttoned my coat and hung my fedora on the wall.

"You think the villainous side is regaining their revenge from Olaf's death?" Quigley asked me as he leaned on one wall, his form visible. He was talking about Count Olaf, one of the most villainous villains of all time, and I cringed, hearing his name.

"I don't know. But right now, I don't want to find out. Where's the two?" I asked him as I shrugged off my coat and hung it as well, also removing my high heels and planting a kiss on Quigley's cheek.

"They're upstairs, with a new project." Quigley replied with a smirk.

I stopped walking up the stairs and turned around to face him.

"They're at it again?" I asked frantically and ran quickly up the steps, with Quigley right behind me.

I opened Quill's room and saw Quill doing something with the wrench and a few bolts while Vivian had two pencils stuck in her bun, almost looking like Kit Snicket, as she held a ballpen in one hand and her handy sketch pad on the other.