Chapter 3

Laura Baudelaire

I flexed the muscles in my fingers and shoulders as I closed my eyes. I could hear nothing but the sounds of crickets around me, and the soft blowing of the breeze on the trees. Even with my closed eyes, I could feel the sunlight casting over me. At the sound of a soft clicking sound, I opened my eyes and swung the dagger I was holding on my left hand. It shot on a cardboard that has a realistic drawing of a scary man, probably drawn by Vivian.

I heard another clicking noise and swung the other dagger with full speed. I had probably swung it too hard because it sliced the cardboard into half. But I didn't mind it at first and rolled on the ground to get my arnis, a weapon that are like two sticks.

Out of nowhere, robots that Quill invented suddenly came, swinging some sticks as well. I kicked the bot on the belly and hit it on the head.

I heard a buzzing noise behind me so I ducked and made the next bot fell by tripping it with my feet. I then hit it with both sticks to make it stop -- it was moving like a dead cockroach.

"Nice try Quill and Viv." I said while smiling. Suddenly there was a bombing noise and the whole place was filled with smoke.

"Holy cow, what invention did they make this time?" I asked and I ducked just in time when I saw a flying object. "Find my bow and arrow, bow and arrow, bow and arrow!" I shouted as I dodge the flying things that they were probably throwing at me.

I then lay flat on the ground when they threw me something that looked like a book. "THAT WAS MY BOOK!" I heard Klad shout and I smiled and shook my head, realizing that my bow and arrow was just next to me.

I grabbed it and slung the pack of arrows on my shoulders, getting one and readying it on my bow as I pointed it at my siblings and cousins who stopped altogether when they saw me.

At the same moment, the fog finally lifted and they all looked at me with pride, disbelief and annoyance.

Klad stood up and made me put down the arrow. "Okay Laura, you're the best at weaponry and all, but have you seen the book that Klara threw?" He asked, shooting Klara a deadly glare, who just shrugged her shoulders and smiled apologetically.

I laughed and said, "It was by the bushes Klad," and he ran off to find it.

"That was an awesome obstacle you did there guys! Quill and Viv, you've outdone yourself again!" I praised them. "And of course, you also did an amazing job Klara." I said and looked at Klara.

"Oh yes, an amazing job at throwing Klad's book, that's what." Vivian teased and we all laughed.

Klara rolled her eyes but laughed as well. "You're so selfish Laura, you don't teach us all those moves." Klara said, changing the subject. At the same time, Klad came back with a happy look as he held the book he was probably reading in his hand.

"You're lucky the book wasn't destroyed." Klad said as he sat next to Klara.

I ignored Klad's remark and replied to Klara, "But we all have our own talents anyways. Quill is the logical inventor, Viv is the imaginative artist, you're the writer a.k.a. poet, Klad's the smart bookworm, while I'm just a master at weapons. No biggie."

"Yeah, talents only we, can appreciate." Quill said smugly and all of us nodded. I was just about to say something to forget about what Quill just said when Aunt Sunny and Aunt Beatrice called us in for snacks.