Chapter 2

Isadora Quagmire

I tugged my nightgown a little upwards and sat beside Klaus who was reading a book. I placed my head on the fluffy pillow next to him. I sighed and said, "I saw Vi crying a while ago and Quigley doesn't want to talk about it. Did you know what happened?"

Klaus put down the book on his lap and looked at me with those soulful eyes behind his shiny glasses. He put an arm around me and kissed me on the forehead while laughing softly. "You don't have to be too nosy Isadora." He said teasingly.

I threw my hands upward in frustration. "Okay, I was just being curious alright!" I said and pouted like a little child. As a person who already had a family, I was one childish person. Klaus smiled and shook his head lightly.

"Alright, alright, I'll tell you. Quill and Vivian just got angry at Violet because she didn't want them to invent and stuff -- you already know this, it's just the usual thing." He said as he read while speaking, flipping a page as he did.

I stared at him in disbelief. "And I thought it was something more exasperating like, Count Olaf was raised from the dead or something," I said and rolled my eyes. "Although of course, I purely understand Vi since I'm a mother herself. But I don't think a child will do any harm if they use their talents." I briefly told him, stating my opinion.

"But it was you yourself that told me the reason you and Duncan found out about V.F.D. was because of your V.F.D. talents." Klaus pointed out.

What he told me gave me flashbacks of the time when one of the former teachers in Prufrock Prep has given a liking to my poetry and Duncan's researches that she always encouraged us to keep doing what we we're good at. But then one day, we found her dead on the school grounds, blood all over. As the police and medical staffs took her body, a note from her to us, dropped from her pocket containing some minimal information of V.F.D.

And as much as I hate to admit it, Klaus was right yet again. "Good point." I said and rested my head on his chest as he read out loud and ruffled my hair.

~*~

It was already 6:45 a.m. on the grandfather's clock and me and the rest of the adults, mainly Violet, Quigley, Klaus and Duncan were rushing from here to there, drinking coffee and reading the newspaper while brushing our hair and putting on perfume.

"Sunny! Have you seen the kids?" I asked Sunny as I hurriedly put powder on my face. Sunny and Beatrice were sitting down on the last steps of the staircase, giggling as they stared at us rushing from one place to another.

"They're upstairs in the playroom Isa." Sunny said while smiling. "With Quill and Vivian?" Violet asked them as well as she jumped over me to get a glimpse of her reflection in the mirror while putting on lipstick.

"Yes Vi. I mean seriously, stop worrying about where the 'kids' are because basically, they aren't kids anymore. I mean they're almost my age!" Sunny said and rolled her eyes while Beatrice laughed and nodded.

"Wait, wait, are we going to visit the organization after work?" Duncan asked as he frustratingly fixed his tie, grunting as he did.

"Apparently, yes. Snicket has a new mission for us I believe." Quigley replied as he adjusted his bowler's hat.

"A new mission?! Can we join?!" Sunny and Beatrice shouted in chorus. "NO!" we all shouted and looked upstairs for any signs of the children. "Oh come on, we're members of V.F.D. anyways!" Sunny said, disappointed.

"Hush! Do you want the children to hear you?! We'll all get trouble for this!" Violet hissed. "And besides, you guys get to stay here to protect them." Klaus added as he playfully ruffled both Beatrice and Sunny's hair.