Chapter 7

Violet Baudelaire

My eyes wandered around the room, glaring at each and every symbol of an eye. Although it felt like they were staring at us, I knew for a fact that Travis Grae Olaf was the only one responsible for our kidnapping. Unlike his father Count Olaf, who had many comrades, he was alone.

My nose wrinkled in disgust at the thought of Count Olaf's son being with our kids, manipulating them, just like what Count Olaf did to everyone.

Except us. I thought with a small smile. He may have manipulated Mr. Poe, and almost every adult who took care of us, but we weren't fooled. And I'm hoping that our kids would be wise enough and not be fooled by his antics as well.

I slightly huffed to remove the strands of hair covering my face. If only I could untie myself right now and tie my hair, then I could probably think straight.

My eyes narrowed when I saw firepokers near the fireplace. It lit up in wonderment and I started jumping up and down the chair, slowly nudging my way towards the firepokers.

"Violet." Klaus hissed at me. "What do you think you're doing?" He asked in wonder and even the others stared at me curiously.

"Escaping." I replied with determination. When I was now near the firepokers, I raised my feet, still binded by the rope.

I placed the middle part of the rope on the sharp end of the firepoker. I then started moving it in a motion in which the rope will be teared.

My hair was covering my eyes and drops of sweat appeared in my forehead as my body ached at the awkward position.

I tugged at the rope and with one final snap, the rope broke free. I gave a sigh of relief and stood up from the chair, this time, untying the rope from my hands.

When I was finally free, I reached onto my pocket and grab my ribbon, tying my hair.

"Well done Vi." Klaus grinned and I hurriedly help untie the others.

"That's my girl!" Quigley exclaimed and kiss me on my forehead. He gave me a proud smile and I smiled back.

Klaus then hurriedly ran to the door to open it, but the door did not budge.

"Vi, you think you can unlock this door?" Klaus asked and I examined the doorknob.

"Unfortunately, no." I said as I looked into the hole. "Why not Vi?" Sunny asked exasperately.

"The doorknob is too advanced and can't be unlocked using the old fashioned pin." I explained and stood up, looking around the room.

"So how are we supposed to get out of here?" Sunny asked sadly and I walked to a nearby window.

"We can't jump, can we?" Klaus asked and a smile formed playfully on my lips.

"Of course not, but we could always climb down." I replied and peered outside the window.

"There's a pipe and vines that we could hang onto." I said and opened the window.

"Are you sure about this?" Klaus asked. "No," I admitted and climbed out the window, placing the edge of my feet on the pipe and having a tight grab onto the vines.