Chapter Three - Cleaning Things Up

          I lied on the bed, burying my head into the dusty pillow, as I massaged my stomach. I wasn't full, but I definitely felt a lot better than before. Well, physically.

          "Hat-choo!" Chaucer sneezed, making me sit up on my the bed.

          "Chaucer, are you alright?"

          He looked at me, his eyes a little hazy. "Oh, Koshka's still awake." He wiped his eyes with the back of his little arm. "Chaucer thought Koshka was already asleep."

          I couldn't help but smile at his cute, little voice. It reminded me of a baby's voice, if babies could speak. "You alright there?"

          He nodded, sitting on the dusty floor. "Chaucer is alright. He was just looking for a rotten berry to eat."

          I cringed. "Rotten...berry?"

          "Yes." He nodded enthusiastically. "Chaucer loves rotten berries! But other rotten fruits will do." He pokedhis head inside the hole in the wall and probably searched for...rotten berries. What could those berries taste like?

          Never mind that.

          "Hat-choo!"

          This time, I sat up and walked over him. I clasped my long hair together with one hand and crouched, pulling him out of the hole. "Unnh!" I grunted as I held both of his chubby legs. He seemed to be stuck inside.

          "Hat-choo!" The room was dusty; perhaps the area through the hole must be at least as dusty as this place was.

          I gritted my teeth as I tried to yank him out of the hole. "Urgh!" I pressed my foot against the wall to help me pull him out. He sneezed again while I forced him out of the hole.

          We both landed on the floor with a thud. I massaged my butt and my thighs, which throbbed in pain. Chaucer shook his head, shaking the dust away from his face, and flapped his wings, flying towards me.

          He hovered in front of me. "Hat-choo!" he sneezed again, wiping his small nose with his purple, little hand.

          I touched his face with my finger, calling his attention.

          He looked at me, and then... "Hat-choo!"

          "That's it! I'm cleaning this filthy room!" Clasping my hair together to keep the loose strands from covering my face, I stood up and searched for a broom, leaving Chaucer sneezing in the air as he flew.

          "Isn't there a single cleaning material in this place?" I yelled after poking my head in every corner in the room in search of a broom or anything I could use. "No wonder this place is so dirty."

          Chaucer appeared next to me, hovering in front beside my face. Its wings were so close, it almost grazed against my cheek. "Aiden doesn't stay in the castle that much," he informed me. "And he doesn't mind. Chaucer and the others don't, either."

          "The others?"

          "Yes, the others," he replied. He giggled, his wings flapping quicker than before. "There are other Amaranthines in this castle." He flashed a cheeky grin at me, showing his white teeth. "If Koshka behaves well, Aiden might introduce her to them. It'll be fun!"

          "No, it won't." I huffed and turned around, looking for anything to clean the room with. If Chaucer would keep believing that Aiden was a good man, so be it, but I wasn't letting that affect me. No. If this was the reason why Aiden gave me Chaucer as a gift, well, I wouldn't let his plan work.