Chapter Nine - Amaranthines

This is dedicated to one of my dearest friends. Sorry for the late dedication, Elyzah. I love you! ♥

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter Nine - Amaranthines

          Perhaps I had lost consciousness because of blood loss. It was a miracle I still woke up, because, judging by the blood stains around the room, I had lost at least a quarter of the blood in my body. Had I been asleep for days?

          I knew I had been asleep for at least three days. My stomach rumbled like there was a storm inside me, and I had to admit, I smelled like death itself. Yet I felt restless. It was as if my body was sleeping but my mind never had the chance to rest and gain energy. I could still hear Aiden screaming in pain, even after numerous hours had passed. Was I dreaming? Or was I making up those sounds in my head? Or perhaps I was hearing things again, like when I was lost in the castle looking for the bathroom?

          But even if I didn't admit this to myself, I had a very bad feeling that I wasn't just hearing things, that this is real, that everything that I have been hearing when I was physically unconscious...really happened.

          "Koshka!" Of course, it was Chaucer, the one who was sanguine all the time.

Much to my surprise, I managed to tilt my head without breaking my neck, because my neck felt like it would break with the one small movement. This time, relief did not wash over me as he flew. All I could think of was what had happened. Why did Aiden look like he wasn't in control that time? He was always in control, even with me, though I refused to admit that to his face.

          "Aiden did that for Koshka!" Did what? Beat me up until I reverted back to a helpless vagabond in the streets? "Isn't he sweet?"

          "Sweet?" I yelled, which I had managed to do because of the burning feeling in my heart again.

          "Aiden left hurriedly when he saw Koshka lying peacefully on the floor. He looked so flustered when he shifted back to human--"

          "Stop it! Stop it! Just stop it, Chaucer!" My throat ached like someone clawed at it, but I wasn't letting that stop me from keeping Chaucer from speaking nonsense about Aiden. I was sick of hearing his name; I was sick of hearing about him, especially when all Chaucer did was praise him as though he was a perfect gentleman who wouldn't hurt a fly.

          Aiden knocked on the door. I knew it was him. Who else could it be?

          I sat still and waited for him to open the door, silently preparing a speech I'd give him. This was his castle, right? His territory? I supposed I didn't have the right to keep him from entering my room, even if I needed privacy. But the door stayed closed, not showing a single sign of Aiden who was outside.

          Then it hit me. Whenever he came to drop some food, the door would always slam open and he'd walk inside without a single greeting. But, now, he knocked. What happened? What kind of witch would have the power to put a spell on such beast that could turn him into a new man, a more decent one?

          Was Chaucer right? Was he right all along? Could it be true that Aiden wasn't as bad as I thought he was?

          My question was answered the moment I let him in my room. The door creaked open and in a flash, he was looming over me, like a tower standing beside me. He crouched down and carefully scooped me up from the floor. It hurt. My body felt like I was being stabbed a billion times again, yet all I did was close my eyes and put my trust in him. And even though I refused to admit it to myself, I knew deep inside me that this man could be trusted, that he would not hurt me anymore right now. Why was my mind filled with these crazy thoughts now? What had happened?