Chapter Seven - A Room to Remember

          By the time we finished walking through one hall and had to make a left turn, my legs were trembling. The area was so cold and empty; there was nothing but cold wind...and darkness. I kept moving, though I doubted that following what the mysterious woman was saying would help us. What else could I do? Of course, I'd follow her, since it was the only thing left to do.

          Chaucer had been quiet ever since we began walking. Given that I could see him hovering over my shoulder, I guessed I shouldn't worry about him much.

          "Turn left," she whispered.

          I spun on my heel and gazed at another hallway filled with darkness, which I would have to deal with whether I liked it or not. With one hand clutching a handful of cloth, and another one assisting my limping leg—because my right foot was bleeding, as well—, I lifted my left leg and tried to start limping into the hallway in front, one leg making bigger strides than the other. I could've taken my time by taking careful steps to make sure I'd arrive at the bathroom safely, without adding injuries to my body, but my head began throbbing harder and harder I felt like pounding my head with my fists. I knew I had to walk faster—or, should I say, limp faster—if I didn't want the throbbing to get into my nerves and make me smash my fists against my bruised head, which could kill me.

          Just a little longer, I told myself, we're almost there.

          I limped through countless halls that looked the same until I had felt like I was going in circles—complicated circles, because I took random turns. Was the mysterious voice in my head guiding me to the bathroom, or putting me in a situation worse than my previous one? Had it been a horrible mistake to listen to her? Moreover, did the voice come from someone, or was I just hearing things to make me feel like there was still something to do other than give up?

          I looked behind me while quickly limping towards the end of the hallway. Chaucer had a smile on his face, even though I was sure he didn't have a single clue about where we were. I let out a sigh as I realized how I had dragged Chaucer into this mess. Perhaps I shouldn't have let him come, so I wouldn't be responsible for the death of two beings.

          My arms trembled. "I'm such a bad person," I breathed, my soft voice echoing in the dark, proving how empty this place was. "This was a trap, a trap Aiden prepared to make me lose my sanity." My eyes widened as everything that had happened seemed to fit into my theory. He treated Safia badly because he wanted me to feel weak and desperate for someone else's safety, so I would be too busy worrying about Safia I'd become so vulnerable and easier to break. Then there was Chaucer, a cute, little Amaranthine I quickly grew fond of. He was so naive he wouldn't hesitate to come with me all the time, even when I was getting myself in danger.

          This was all his plan, and it was too late to realize this fact and go back. I was lost, and there was no going back.

          Just when I almost felt like crumbling to dust again, Chaucer chirped something that gave me hope again: "Why did you stop walking, Koshka? We're almost there; I can feel it."

          I turned around and looked at his face. "You do?"

          With a smile on his face, he nodded. "Of course. Look." He pointed his tiny finger behind me. "That could be the room you're looking for."

          And there it was, the exact door that Aiden kicked open when he wanted me to take a bath. Tears of joy welled up in my eyes as I ran towards the door. I forgot about my wounds that moment. Forgetting wasn't always a bad thing; sometimes, people would need to forget so they'd be capable of doing what they have to do.