Chapter Twelve - Meant to Happen

          "I don't understand, Carina! Everything's just...dawning on me and telling me that I'm this powerful girl who not only can hear things that normal people couldn't hear, but also makes a wyvern-turning man stronger without her knowing."

          I continued pacing around my room, my arms shaking every time I remembered my exchange with Aiden this afternoon. It was already nighttime, and I was still unsuccessful to keep my calm. 

          I had always known that there was something different, something special, about me, and I knew as a child that the truth would soon come at me when I least expect it. And it did.

          "Calm down, Koshka!"

          "I can't, Carina!" I yelled inside the room, flinging my arms up in the air. "How can I calm down when everything's so...Argh! Why is this happening to me?"

          "This was meant to happen," she said. "Fate has already decided how our days will pass."

          I slumped back on the wall and turned to look outside the window, grabbing a stool so I could sit there and stare at the moon. "If that's the case, why do we have to endure these pains while living? Why try to do things your way when we're forced to do what fate has decided for us to do?" I rested my arms on the windowsill and crossed them, forming a cradle, on which I laid my head.

          "That's what we have to do," she whispered, her voice sounding like that of the wind. "We're not given a choice. Does a pot question its potter, 'Why have you made me this? Why am I a special pot and not a normal pot?' Doesn't the potter have power over a pot? Over his creations?"

          The cold wind blew against me, sending my blonde hair dancing in the air.

          "We live because that's all we can do, but it's up to us to do the right thing, to make the best out of our lives. It's your choice if you want to live happily or not."

          The moonlit view outside was cold and austere, devoid of life and existence. All I could see were blue and white mountains of ice. I could hear water splashing outside, but it was very faint, which meant the ocean or the sea must be around a hundred yards away from here. There weren't many clouds in the sky. The moon was alone in the sky, providing just enough light to be able to see.

          I wondered how the Amaranthines gathered raw materials for the delicious food they prepared each day. How far did they have to fly to find trees,  plants, animals, and herbs? Did they meet the witches that had once attempted to erase their race's existence from the world? Did any of them try to run away and live life the way they wanted to?

          I wished I could just run away from here. I wished I could talk to many Amaranthines and ask them to take me away from this castle, from this prison, so I could go back to my humble way of living. I wished it was that easy, but it wasn't. Safia was still inside, and taking her back to Aethelgard would mean death, so did taking her to a different town. Wherever I took her, there would always be people who would try to kill her. Why was life so cruel to people who did nothing wrong?

          With those thoughts in my head, I slowly drifted off to sleep.

          The next day, I woke up with a blanket over my lap. My arms were cold, and my teeth chattered like the castanets of a dancing woman. I felt chilly all over, but the blanket on my lap gave me a little warmth. "Hatchoo!"

          I turned around to check the wooden chest to see if Chaucer was up. There I saw him nibbling on one of the rotten berries from a bowl on top of my drawer. Aiden had already left a bowl of rotten berries for Chaucer today? Was it lunchtime already?