Twenty-One

"Woohoo!"

Sipping at my champagne, I watched from atop of the back stairs, as my mates madly jumped in to the swimming pool out the back of the manor still in their suits and gowns. Sabine stood off to the side talking with Jacque. Taking another sip, I walked down to her.

"Hey," Jacque greeted me, as I stepped up to them. "I was just giving Sabine an official invitation to join the dungeon."

I nodded. I guessed she excluded that she would be leaving.

"When she returns."

I nearly spit out my drink, as I took a longer swig. I looked at Sabine, but she was smiling up at Jacque. It was a smile that said he was trying to coax her in to coming back, but nothing about whether she would. I didn't want to think too deeply in to it.

As we watched Oliver dive off the diving board in to a cannon ball splashing everyone in his way, I leaned in to Sabine asking, "How are you doing?"

"Good." She smiled, observing the scene before her, as Oliver was dunked under the water by Everett. "It feels like a true family here."

"Yeah," I said, Jacque and I nodding in agreement.

This was my family. And now she was that family. It made my heart soar seeing everything come full circle. If it wasn't for Sabine, I wouldn't be here. Tonight has been a dream. We danced under the stars painted in the ballroom ceiling. She completely immersed herself in to our little club becoming one us, playing our mental drinking games, opening herself up to our crazy antics. It has been a wish I didn't know I wanted to come true.

I spied Joseline in the pool, blonde hair slicked back, her high neck sleeveless dress wet sticking to her body, as she watched me. Sabine caught her looking and followed her eyes to me. I followed her eyes to Joseline.

"Is this making you uncomfortable?" I asked her, reminded of her well received, but misdirected anger earlier.

"No," Sabine said, shaking her head with a slight frowning, as she dismissed the thought. "She just better not try anything on you," she added with hooded protectiveness.

I nodded. I didn't doubt that Joseline might do that, especially with the looks she's been giving me all night. I flashed back to the stare she gave me at the dining room table earlier in the dining room.

Diverting my mind from the conversation, I turned to Sabine suggesting, "Would you like to go for a swim?"

Sabine turned her head to me with an answering smile.

I looked passed Sabine to Jacque watching the scene before us.

"Please Jacque?" I requested, holding out my champagne to him.

Jacque took the glass by the stem releasing us with a lift of the glass in Great Gatsby like flair. Sabine placed her hand in mine and we took off at a run for the swimming pool jumping in with twin screams. Shoes and all. Together we emerged from the water finding our breath, laughing. Sabine circled her arms around my neck, a happy smile splitting her face.

"Having a good time?" I asked, pulling her in close to me.

"The best." Her smile broadened. "I feel like I'm in a movie right now. I've had fire shots tonight. I'm in a pool with my heels and dress on, which could get ruined but I don't care." She threw her head back emphasizing her carefree mindset. Then she pulled her head back up staring at me and I at her. She opened her mouth to -

"I love you," I said.

The sounds of screams, splashing, and water lapping against us ceased. I stared at Sabine disbelief still malfunctioning the use of her mouth. I said it. And I meant it. I pulled away from her taking her hands in mine and pulled her over to the edge of the pool. Her eyes begged me to say something. To not leave her hanging.