LOST TOO MUCH Chapter 8

It was six in the morning when Callen was in the gym and hit the sandbag. He was lucky if he'd had more than three hours sleep. He tried to put Bronte out of his mind but to no effect. After he had finished, he showered and changed into some fresh clothes. He walked into the bull pen and noticed Bronte's bag by Hetty's desk. He turned to brew some coffee, he jumped with surprise. Bronte stood in his way to the coffee machine.

"You're avoiding me." She began. "Why?" Bronte studied Callen's reaction. Like the night before, he averted his eyes away from her's. His arms were crossed over his chest, he had built walls back up around his heart. Bronte frowned. "You can't avoid me, G." He reminded her of Max, when something bothered him, but he didn't want to talk about it. "Fine. Behave like an eight year old boy then." Bronte left him alone, frustrated as to why he had suddenly closed up around her.

By eight, the rest of the team had arrived and were being briefed in OPS on the intel they had so far. Callen delivered out instructions for his team, on what he needed them to do. The day was busy with leads to chase up on, from the intel Nell and Eric had gathered. Callen preferred to be busy. It meant he didn't have time to dwell on Bronte. He and Sam were outside the Roosevelt, watching Deeks and Kensi's backs, while they worked inside the Hotel. They were on the lookout for Pavlo. Callen needed to keep out of sight, Pavlo knew who he was. Kensi had managed to enter his suite whilst he was eating lunch in the restaurant. She planted four bugs and was clear before he returned.

Nell trembled as she saw Pavlo enter his room. The cameras and mics Kensi had planted were being broadcasted in the OPS Centre. Bronte and Eric watched alongside her. Eric looked over at his partner with concern. Nell managed to avoid eye contact with him and tried hard to concentrate on the task at hand.

Pavlo was alone in his suite. He loved company especially the female kind. But on this visit, he had more pressing matters to address. Getting his son from the woman he had raped, eight years earlier. Out of all the women he had raped or had a relationship with, the boy was his only child. He paced the room, wondering why he hadn't heard from the gunman he had hired to kill the husband. He needed confirmation he had taken the man out, so he could take back what was his. The boy. He didn't want the woman. She would be more of a problem to him than good. He was seven now. Old enough to live without her, he had decided. He would take the boy home to Russia and bring him up on his own. He needn't worry the boy didn't know Russian, Daniel was deaf and he could sign.

"He's trying to contact Blackwood's cell." Eric stated.

"Intercept it." Callen's instructed over the comms. "Transfer it over to my phone."

"Ok, on it." Eric tapped the buttons on his computer.

Callen's phone rang. "Hello?" He spoke gruffly. He waited for Pavlo to speak on the other end of the phone.

"Ah!" Pavlo wasn't sure if the person he was speaking with was Blackwood. "Have you completed the assignment?" He was being cautious not to say too much."

Callen looked over at Sam, concerned. "Yes! I want my money." He demanded. The less he said, the better, Callen thought.

"Meet me at Kenneth Hahn State Recreation Park. Three o'clock, on the red bridge, in the Japanese Garden. You will get your money." Pavlo hung up. He needed to drive by the Hobson house to see if there was any proof Blackwood had done what he had said. Then he would kill him. A loose end, he concluded.

Satisfied Blackwood had completed the assignment, after seeing police tape across the front lawn of the Hobson's house, he drove to Kenneth Hahn State Recreation Park.

Callen and his team were waiting for Pavlo perched in position around the red bridge. They waited for Pavlo to arrive on the bridge before Callen walked closer. He knew there would be trouble once he recognised him, but what else could he do? Deeks and Kensi may be recognised from the hotel. It left him or Sam. They both knew Callen could pass as Blackwood from a distance. The problem was when he moved close enough for Pavlo to recognise him.