LOST TOO MUCH Chapter 26

Callen, Bronte and their sons settled well into their new home with the large verandah and private gardens. Hetty, true to her word, gave them the house as her gift to them. She saw how happy they were there and she hoped that it would help Bronte heal after her recent grief.

Christmas came and went with mixed emotions. They made it a happy one and included the whole team, Gibbs and Abby from D.C. and the Nassir family. And although their house was filled with loved ones and good friends, underneath the surface, the grief simmered for Bronte, Max, Callen and Michael. They missed those they'd loved and lost.

It was their first Christmas together as a family of sorts, the boys were getting along well. Michael picked up sign language quickly and was able to communicate with Max more freely. Bronte healed slowly from all the grieving she'd locked away. She continued her regular visits with Dr Carter, Nate had recommended her well. But something appeared to be on Callen's mind. Spring was around the corner, work kept them both busy and distracted.

Bronte busied herself on her laptop, she looked up from her desk and watched Callen disappear with Sam. Her eyes followed them until they moved out of sight.

Sam leaned on the wall in the armoury, curious. He watched his partner pace the room, nervous. "What is it, G?"

His eyes darted to the two entrances to the room before his eyes settled on the former Navy SEAL. "This." Callen pulled a small package out of his jeans pocket and handed it to Sam.

Sam's eyes widened and his dimples deepened as a grin spread across his face. "So this is it, huh?"

"U-huh!" Callen swallowed the hard lump that formed in his throat. "She makes me happy, Sam. I've never felt this way about any woman, not even with Kristin."

Sam squeezed his shoulder, "I'm happy for you, G. You deserve to be happy."

"I'm worried she'll say no." He heaved out, his nerves getting the better of him.

"You reckon? No. She'll get all teary and say yes. She loves you."

"You love me, but there's no way you'll ever want to be married to me." Callen smirked. He wanted to do this right.

Sam chuckled, "I'm already taken, but yeah, I think I'm married enough to you with this job, I don't think I could deal with your lone wolf tendencies more than I already do.

A chuckle escaped Callen's throat from Sam's witty response. He turned serious again, "I want us to have kids, our kids. Not just be a family of hers and mine. I want us to have kids that are pieces of her and pieces of me."

"You've settled in better than any of us expected, G. I can see the two of you with little ones running around in no time. After watching you with Ella and Thomas, you're a natural."

"Do you think I can do it?"

"Of course. I've watched you for years with Aidan and Kamran." Sam smiled.

"Look, G. I know you missed the early years with Michael, but the two of you are," he shook his head and chuckled, "are like two peas in a pod. If you have anymore that are a clone of you and Michael, the world will be a better place."

Callen narrowed his eyes, "you're mocking me."

"No, G. I'm being honest with you. Brother to brother."

Callen nodded. "Thanks." He heaved out a sigh. "Will you be my best man if she says yes?"

Sam's smiled broadened, "of course."

"Good. Thanks. Okay." He was talking himself into proposing. "Greg's parents are looking after the boys for the weekend, we're heading up the coast tonight, I just hope Bronte doesn't freak out."