LOST TOO MUCH Chapter 32

Cagliari, Sardinia — two days later

It would be another day before the doctor would release Bronte from the hospital. He was still very concerned over her sailing again.

"I understand your need for continuing on your journey, Mr Smith. But after how ill your wife fell the other day, we don't want to cause any further stress on your wife or your babies."

"I assure you, Dr Bonato, the last thing I wish to place on my wife or on our babies is any stress or risk to their health. But we arrived by boat and I need to make other arrangements if we cannot return our yacht to my father-in-law."

"Where does your father-in-law live?"

Callen didn't want to tell the doctor too much, "about a day's worth of sailing."

"Which is?" Dr Bonato looked at him sceptically. He furrowed his brow.  "What are you hiding?"

"Look, Dr Bonato, I know you mean well, but I am not in a habit of telling strangers our business. We aren't hiding from anything or anyone. We just want to get back to my father-in-law's. My wife will be well looked after by family."

The doctor studied Callen for a moment. Fortunately for him, he managed to hide the worry about the threat on their lives. He'd read in the paper about the bombing, two people's bodies had been found inside the villa. The authorities were still ascertaining their identities. It was suspected to be a honeymoon couple from the U.S. Reading that detail had sent shivers down his spine. By now everyone back home would think the worst. He needed to get to Philipe to contact Hetty ASAP. Their delay was causing him some concern. He couldn't have Michael or Max think they were dead. If Bronte knew anything about what he'd read, she would be beside herself.

"We have an airport on the island, I suggest you make arrangements for the yacht and fly to your father-in-law."

The thought had crossed Callen's mind. He nodded. "I agree."

Nearby

Another yacht arrived into the marina for the night. The two occupants tied it up to the jetty and jumped onto the wooden platform. The larger of the two stood tall and stretched out his muscles.

"What was the name of the yacht G and Bronte were travelling on?"

"Philipe said it was called the Amèlie."

Sam scanned the marina, his dimples deepened when he found it. "Over there."

Gibbs looked into the direction Sam pointed to and nodded. His body relaxed, they had to be there. "Let's see if we can find them."

They walked over to the jetty where Callen had moored the yacht in his haste to take Bronte to the hospital. "No one's here." Gibbs scanned the area and spotted a young man take an interest in them. He walked over to him. "Some friends of ours arrived here a few days ago on this yacht. Have you seen them?" He spoke in perfect Italian and the young man nodded.

"Sì." He explained about the wife being ill and taking them to the local hospital. He offered to take them there. Gibbs accepted.

Worry for Bronte etched in both men's eyes, they thanked the local and gave him some money for his time and fuel. They entered the hospital and looked around to see where they needed to go. They knew Calllen and Bronte had travelled on aliases, they hoped they were using the same ones Hetty provided them.

"Mi scusi. (excuse me)

The woman at the front desk looked up and smiled at them. "Posso aiutarla?" (May I help you?)

"Sì. Siamo alla ricerca di alcuni amici, la moglie è stata portata qui a pochi giorni fa." (We are looking for some friends, the wife she was brought here a few days ago.) John and Mia Smith.