LOST TOO MUCH Chapter 28

They solved the case and arrested all involved in Wilkinson's death. The thumb drive revealed all the identities of the Chechen separatists who'd infiltrated the Marine Corp and their plans for a terrorist attack on U.S. soil. Callen rubbed his temples, it had been a long day, but a successful one. It was seven, they were expected at Hetty's for dinner in an hour. "Bron, you ready to leave?"

She'd been quiet for the rest of the day which worried him. She nodded and switched off her laptop. She tried to avert his gaze when she grabbed her bag, but Callen stopped her.

"I'm sorry if I worried you today. It's the last thing I want to do."

Bronte shook her head. "No, G. I'm sorry I overreacted. I should trust you and Sam to know when you can handle something and when you need backup."

He pulled her in for a hug. "I'm not going anywhere, Bron." He breathed out in a whisper. He understood her fear of losing him, it was something he needed to adjust to, having someone care about him and that he really cared about too, to make sure he came home each night.

The next month flew by, word came out by the next day about their engagement and Hetty was in her element planning their wedding. Callen was nervous, he looked at Sam who only grinned like a cheshire cat back at him. "It's perfect to be nervous, G."

"I know, but what if she doesn't turn up?" He licked his lips from nerves and looked at himself in the mirror one more time.

"Philipe and Hetty would make sure she turns up. Let alone what Abby would do to her if she bails out."

Callen took in a deep breath, he was certain Bronte had found the perfect bridesmaid dress for Abby in black. That was Abby's colour after all. He nodded his head, yes, if anyone could give Bronte the courage to go through marrying him today, it would be Abby.

Bronte wiped her tears, it was a good thing waterproof makeup had been invented. She would look a mess if her tears had ruined all the hard work Abby had done with her already.

"You need to stop crying, Bron, you'll have me in tears next." Abby sat down on the bed next to her and pulled her in for a hug. "You look beautiful, even before you put that stunning dress on. Callen's going to be knocked off his feet when he sees you."

Bronte sat in her lace underwear she'd bought for the occasion. She was sure Callen would love her in it, but she couldn't stop the tears.

"Callen's been through a lot, he's made it this far, he'll be fine." Abby understood her fear, she had helped her after losing Greg and Carrie. It was natural for her to feel this way.

Bronte nodded. "I know, but I can't stop worrying."

Suddenly she felt all hot and sweaty, she was sure it was just nerves. She ran to the bathroom and threw up the contents of her lunch into the toilet bowl. Feeling better, she washed her mouth out and took one look at herself in the mirror. They were going to have to redo her makeup. There was no way she was going to church looking like this.

"They're late." Callen paced the floor of the church, their friends and family sat waiting for the bride to arrive. He looked and saw Hetty with Greg's parents. Max and Michael stood beside Sam and looked just as nervous as he did. He took one look at Max and he knew that there was no way Bronte would pull out and leave him hanging at the altar. Something must have happened. He was about to pull his cell out and call Bronte when he heard a car pull up outside. He went to take a look and sighed with relief when he saw Abby step out of the limousine. She saw him and shoed him away before Philipe helped his daughter out of the vehicle. Callen moved back inside the church and headed up the front to stand in his place. "They're here."