Chapter 35

Azalea's POV:

              “What do you mean? You were supposed to be with her." I almost yelled at Jamille.

              “I know, I know, but something happened…." She dragged on.

              “Jamille, what did you do?" Christopher inquired.

              “She went all serious and told me she needed to talk to me. Then she kept apologizing and blaming herself for Garrett’s capture. Afterwards, I may have yelled at her." Jamille’s voice started to falter.

             “How could you yell at her? She is only a child who truly believed you hated her. Could you not be anymore insensitive?" I scolded.

              “I am sorry! I regretted it the moment I left her alone, so please help me find her so I may tell her that." She pleaded.

             “First things first, do you have any idea of where she might have gone?" Christopher calmly asked.

               “Not that I know of; if we were in the Ruba manor, she would be hiding in the library, but I do not know of where she would hide here."

I had a suspicion.

            “Well, we better all split up. I’ll search the grounds, Jamille should search the suites, and Azalea…"

            “I’ll search the ground floor." I offered.

He nodded to us before running off. Jamille and I did the same. I headed down to the kitchen, searching every cabinet, then the dining hall where I found a stray cat- but no Mariana. I decided to check the stables before heading to the ballroom. Upon reaching the stables, I knew something was off. I realized one of the horses- one of the newly delivered mares.

            Suddenly, a rush of footsteps echoed until stepping onto the soft earth of the stable. I looked at him.

            “She took the horse didn’t she?" I rhetorically asked.

            “At least she was not alone. The stable boy went with her."

            “Riko, but where could have they gone…" My eyes widened with a sudden revelation. “They could not have…?"

Christopher nodded, answering my unanswered question. We quickly mounted our horses and rode off towards the Ruba manor.

            “We’ll take the forest path, that way at least the trees will cover us so the soldiers at watch may not spot us so easily. EChristopher shouted to me as we rode.

            “I just hope they are alright. Imagine, the thought of two small children storming a manor full of troops ready to kill."

Christopher had my gaze.

            “They will be okay. Do not worry."

I mustered a faint smile before we rode faster.

            All of a sudden, Celera stopped and it looked as if she sensed something I could not. Her head turned around as if trying to discover the mysterious diversion. She started in a different direction, walking cautiously. I was worried that Christopher and I would lose each other- since he went ahead of me, but I trusted Celera. She had never made a wrong decision before. She was more than “just a horse" to me. She was a lifelong friend.

            We reached a certain point when I noticed the sound of a waterfall, and sobbing. I dismounted Celera and guided her to the mystifying resonance. Approaching the waterfall, I saw that the sobs came from two small children beside the pond. The rustle of the leaves beside me alerted my presence to the children. The girl turned around with frightened eyes until she saw my face. A relieved expression crossed her face as she cried tears of respite from her misery.