Chapter 42

Amelia's POV:

          I returned to the cottage where Rose awaited me with my son carried in her arm. I passed her by to retrieve my things, never answering her questions. As I walked through the door for the last time I only told her one thing.

          “I’m not coming back to this hellhole.”

          “What about your son? You can’t abandon him!”

I only remember walking off and not looking back. I didn’t realize then that that conversation would be our last.

I headed to the meeting spot where Jonathon awaited me. As we rode off he only asked me one question.

“Are you sure this is what you want?”

“No,” I answered. “I’m not sure of anything actually, but I know for certain that I do not belong there. I never had a place to begin with there. I was a temporary replacement. That spot was never mine to have.”

A few years had passed and I grew accustomed to Cardinia and its customs. Jonathon protected me well from questions about my background. I could finally sleep at peace. I had almost forgotten my past which I had left in Kerton and I was expecting a baby. I thought I could finally obtain my happiness but one day I was passing some gossiping ladies and heard a name which brought back a rush of memories.

“Did you hear? Lord Gareth had a child out of wedlock!”

The other woman clicked her tongue in disapproval.

          “That man is a beast. Why does he not just settle down? Who is the woman this time?”

          “I’m not certain, but I heard that Lady Rose is raising the child as her own daughter! This will ruin her chances of marriage, and she is already almost past the marriage age!”

          “Do you think perhaps…the child is Lady Rose’s?”

          “Impossible! Lady Rose and Lord Gareth are first cousins! There is no way!”

          “Hm… I suppose so.”

          “Besides, there was no news of Lady Rose’s pregnancy so logically, it is impossible.”

The two women finally sighted me and silenced their tongues as they gave me a polite bow. I gracefully nodded back and continued my stroll down the hallway.

          Gareth…Gareth…Gareth… I thought I had finally forgotten him. I thought my past could be erased, but it was impossible. I couldn’t contain my feelings and I started crying alone in my room. Suddenly I felt something strange stirring within me and noticed my water broke. I started screaming for help, knowing what was coming. Maids ran in and assisted me before the nursemaid came. I only remembered blurred faces and voices soothing me. I felt a strong hand grab mine and I looked to a pair of emerald green eyes.

          “Gareth” I whispered so softly to myself.

My vision cleared to see that the pair of eyes were actually a royal blue- the eyes of my husband.

          “Jonathon.” I said loud and clear, almost as if to remind myself.

He smiled at me gently and kissed me on my forehead like he always did when I was sad.

          “I am right here. I know it’s hard but please bear with the pain a little longer for our child.”

The pain took over my body as I screamed “No” over and over. Why did I have to think of Gareth while I was giving birth to my child with Jonathon- kind, caring Jonathon; Jonathon, how gave me a home, a place to call mine.? Why did I have to give birth to my child in this kind of situation? I didn’t want to bring my child into the world with thoughts of a man who wasn’t his father.