Chapter 13: Birthdays

Today is my birthday. Yesterday I found out that Zoey shares the same birth date as me. I was really surprised. It is very hard to find someone who shares the same birthday let alone your stepmother!

I don't have much plans for today except that I have to go with my stepmother to the mall. I don't know why she wants to take me there. Unless she is planning something. Hmm? Oh who am I kidding. She barley knows me, unless? Oh I got to stop teasing myself. She could not have gotten hold of my friends unless she stole my phone and wrote down their numbers. Who would go through that much trouble though. She probably just wants to have a girls day away from my dad and brother.

It took a while to get to the car. We were weighed down by dozens of heavy bags. We stuffed them in the trunk and headed home.

When we got there I noticed the lights in the window were off. That means either the boys are asleep or they are having a surprise party for me.

"SURPRISE! HAPPY BIRTHDAY KALEY!" My friends and family yell as Zoey and I walk inside. I knew it, I knew it, I knew it. Why else would Zoey take me shopping on my birthday. "Thank you guys. This means a lot to me, but why doesn't Zoey get a surprise party?" I ask. "Zoey is having a girls night out with her friends later tonight so she wanted to help do something special for you. It was her idea to have a surprise birthday party for you. She wanted to become more involved in your life since she is living with us now." My dad said as everyone went to the kitchen to get the cake, which is beautiful if I do say so myself. It has my favorite colors and a cool zebra print. Zoey really outdid herself on my cake.

After cake and a round of games it is time for presents. There are about 8 presents on the table. The first one is from Cary. It is a hamster ball. This is a very weird present because I don't have a hamster I shrug it off and continue to open presents. I open the small one from my family next. Inside is a piece of paper that says Go look in your room. I do what it says and see a blanket covering something in the middle of the floor. On the blanket were the words take me off. I lifted the blankets and underneath was a cage with the cutest hamster I had ever seen in my life.