The Three Forbidden Kits

A grey tabby tom stood by a riverbank as he waited for a pale grey she-cat to swim over to him. He could sense the presence of a kit and could hear a tiny mew as water lapped at the kit's kit-soft pelt. The kit was a grey-and-white she-kit. The kit was swatting her paws widely in the water and water went flying. Some of it hit the tiny kit and it let out a mew. The she-cat who was carrying the kit in her jaws got out of the water and placed the kit onto the ground in front of the tom's paws. The tom could feel the kit at his paws as she squirmed helplessly on the ground.

"Who is that kit? Why did you bring it here?" the tom questioned and the she-cat looked up.

"She's our kit, Jayfeather. There are two others I need to bring to you," she replied. Jayfeather's blind gaze blinked.

"Why? It won't help if you bring her to ThunderClan," he mewed.

"I'm wanting you to take her to WindClan along with her littermates," the RiverClan she-cat told her mate as she casted her blue gaze across the riverbank.

"Me? Willowshine, how can I leave her in WindClan's camp when I can't see a thing?" Jayfeather growled.

"You're helping me," Willowshine replied and dived into the river, beginning to swim to the other side before the ThunderClan medicine cat could say something.

The she-kit stared up at Jayfeather and lay against his paws. Jayfeather moved his paws away and the kit let out a mew.

Willowshine soon returned with two other kits hanging from her jaws; a she-kit and a tom. The tom was brown with a distinctive white chest and tail-tip while the she-kit was a grey tabby and looked a bit like her mother. Willowshine placed them onto the ground. A cold breeze ruffled the pelts of the cats as they stood. All three kits let out mews and began turning cold.

"Why did you have to pick today to send them away? It's freezing out here!" Jayfeather asked.

"Because I couldn't have them in RiverClan any longer. I had to keep hiding them and Mothwing was turning suspicious!" Willowshine quickly replied. "Now let's get going before they freeze to death." Willowshine picked up the tom and she-kit while Jayfeather picked up the other remaining she-kit. They began walking away towards the WindClan border with the three hanging and mewling kits. Willowshine didn't want to send them away but knew she had to. It's best for them, Willowshine told herself. I am a medicine cat; I can't have kits and neither can Jayfeather.

Soon the two mates and their kits arrived at the WindClan border. Willowshine placed the two kits she carried onto the ground, sadness beginning to fill up in her blue eyes. Jayfeather placed the she-kit he carried by his paws instead of with her littermates.

"Are you mouse-brained? We can't leave them out in the open where a badger could get them and where they would freeze to their death!" Willowshine turned her head to the ThunderClan cat.

"But-- I-- we can't go into--" the RiverClan medicine cat was silence by Jayfeather's tail.

"We have to get out of here," Jayfeather whispered. Willowshine looked around and then her ears perked as they could detect voices from up ahead. "Go-- those cats will find our kits and take then to the WindClan camp." Willowshine gave a nod and darted away. Jayfeather stayed and looked where his kits were.

"Goodbye," he murmured and something filled up in his clear blue eyes. Was it. . . sadness?

The voices grew louder and Jayfeather then darted away from his kits as they mewed and let out tiny cries, cold and alone with no mother or father with them. . .