Thistleclaw's Agony

Thistleclaw let out a snarl as Silverhawk dodged his attack. His paws landed neatly onto the damp ground and he shot around at once, his eyes blazing with fury. I have to prove myself worthy to my Clan!

"You fight like a kittypet," Silverhawk sneered. "Do you really call yourself a warrior?" There was no way Thistleclaw was going to let the Dark Forest warrior think a kittypet was a better fighter than him! Sliding his claws out, he bared his lip into a snarl; his thorn-sharp claws dug into the ground easily.

"You can stop fighting now, the both of you," Mapleshade's voice echoed through the air like the cats were in a cave. "Thistleclaw, you have the power to do better than that. Next time, I expect the both of you to sharpen up your skills. Silverhawk, you've improved slightly."

Silverhawk's dull eyes brightened up at Mapleshade's words. He then dipped his head in respect to the tortoiseshell. "I can assure you I'll be better next time," he promised.

"I still want to fight," Thistleclaw protested. "I want to be the strongest warrior in my Clan - more stronger than Tigerclaw. Bluestar needs to die for killing Snowfur."

"You do not protest against my orders; you obey them." Mapleshade began walking over to the evenly mottled tom. Thistleclaw's nose wrinkled in disgust at the foul stench of her breath. She unsheathed her claws, showing them to Thistleclaw. "Do you want to die or do you want to prove to ThunderClan that you're the most powerful cat in the forest?"

I have to try and get away from here for good, Thistleclaw thought with a sudden change of heart. This isn't me at all. Why did I let myself get dragged into this? Another voice, much like his own, replied to his thoughts. You're a warrior, not a kittypet! You belong to the Dark Forest more than StarClan or ThunderClan. Remember that, mouse-brain.

"Now," Mapleshade began, forgetting about Thistleclaw's protest, "we need Bluestar to die. Thistleclaw, you'd be better in power than that rotting crowfood. You must kill her - rip out her remaining three lives."

"She lost five of her lives already?" Thistleclaw blinked, surprised. Bluestar had said she had only lost four of her nine lives. Mapleshade nodded.

"But first you must make yourself worthy of being the next deputy," she replied. "You have to earn Redtail's trust and respect so he will become Redstar and then choose you as his faithful deputy." Thistleclaw frowned.

"But then I'd have to rip out eight lives without the Clan knowing or being suspicious."

"If you can kill Bluestar, you would be able to kill Redtail. Actually - kill Redtail and make it look like an accident. Then ThunderClan will have no deputy or leader," Mapleshade meowed.

"StarClan would never choose me as for their little omen," Thistleclaw answered. "They wouldn't choose a fox-hearted warrior as a leader, now would they?"

"Leave that for us to worry about," Mapleshade responded. "It's our duty to shape your destiny if StarClan is too blind to do so. Remember the plan, Thistleclaw. You owe it to us for the training we offered you."

Thistleclaw nodded. "I won't let you down." With that, Thistleclaw found himself fading from the dark, misty forest. Mapleshade's echoing voice whispered through the fading forest like cold air.

Thistleclaw woke up to find himself back in the warriors' den in ThunderClan. It was already Sunhigh and he was the only warrior left in the den. Mouse-dung! he thought. I'm late. He shot onto his paws immediately and raced out of the den.

"You took your time." Thistleclaw turned to see Tigerclaw, his former apprentice, looming over him with his usual blank face. "Seeing. . . them again, eh?"