Mistaken Home

Ashfur woke in a dark forest and looked around. He was slightly scared as he had never seen or been in this place before. A dark tabby tom emerged from the darkness ahead, his ice-blue gaze shining. Ashfur backed away as he recognised Hawkfrost and then fell back. Ashfur's deep blue eyes were full of fear as Hawkfrost was standing in front of him.

"Do not be afraid of me, Ashfur. You are one of us now," the once RiverClan warrior mewed.

"One of you? What is this place, anyway?" Ashfur questioned.

"You are in the Dark Forest," Hawkfrost replied. "There is no need to be scared of this place or any other cats in here because they are your friends. StarClan failed to see we were better than them." Hawkfrost's gaze stared up above him.

"I guess I do belong here," Ashfur said quietly. "I did almost kill Lionblaze, Jayfeather and Hollyleaf. . ." A massive dark tabby tom who looked much like Hawkfrost came trotting over to him. The only difference was that the cat who had just come had amber eyes. Ashfur stared up at the dark tom and realised he was Tigerstar.

"Welcome to the Dark Forest, Ashfur. It is good to see an old friend again," Tigerstar said warmly as if he was a good friend. Ashfur blinked.

"I was never your friend, traitor," he spat at the ambitious tom.

"Traitor? You are mistaken, Ashfur. I was protecting my Clan but Bluestar couldn't see that," Tigerstar mewed. Hawkfrost nodded his head in agreement with his father.

"Should we introduce Ashfur to his new friends?" he then asked as he looked up at his father. Tigerstar gave a quick nod. Ashfur was nervous about seeing the other Dark Forest cats. He knew they were rogues amongst their Clan, but then again, Ashfur was one. . .

"Come," Hawkfrost mewed and beckoned Ashfur to followed with a flick of his tail. The RiverClan tom started trotting towards darkness. Ashfur rose onto his paws and stumbled after the dark tabby while Tigerstar walked a different way. Ashfur glanced around him, his deep eyes still full of fear. He did not like the Dark Forest from his short experience and wanted to be somewhere else, but he had to face the fact that this was his home now.

The two cats arrived in a clearing and there were other cats there. A white tom raised his head to look at Hawkfrost and then noticed Ashfur.

"A new arrival?" he asked as he stared at the former ThunderClan warrior. Hawkfrost gave a nod and Ashfur noticed a long scar that looked bad on the white tom. Hawkfrost turned his head to Ashfur, who was staring in horror at the white cat's scar.

"Ashfur, that is Snowtuft," Hawkfrost mewed.

"Greetings, Ashfur," Snowtuft greeted. The other Dark Forest cats began to pad over to Snowtuft. As Ashfur stared, he couldn't recognise any of these cats from the time when he was in ThunderClan. Amber eyes burned from a ragged tortoiseshell she-cat and piercing yellow eyes stared at Ashfur from a spiky-furred tom.

"That is Mapleshade--" Hawkfrost flicked his tail to the ragged tortoiseshell "-- and that is Thistleclaw." Mapleshade gave Ashfur a greeting with a nod of her head while Thistleclaw just stared.

"Next to Thistleclaw is Silverhawk and the tom next to Mapleshade is Brokenstar. Next to Snowtuft is Shredtail and the tom next to Shredtail is Sparrowfeather." These cats did not look friendly to Ashfur at all. All Ashfur could see was evilness and hunger in their eyes. A battle-scarred brown tom pushed past the other Dark Forest cats and following him was a black tabby.

"Darkstripe!" Ashfur said the black tabby's name. Darkstripe gave a nod as he remembered Ashfur.

"And that is Clawface," Hawkfrost mewed as he flicked his tail to the battle-scarred brown tom.

"Where is StarClan?" Ashfur asked as he remembered about his ancestors.

"StarClan? They do not walk our path," Tigerstar mewed as he appeared from the darkness. A tabby she-cat appeared from where Tigerstar had entered a few heartbeats later.

"Brindleface, you're a Dark Forest cat?" Ashfur asked as he recognised the she-cat was his mother. She looked much younger than when Ashfur had last saw her many moons ago. Brindleface shook her head.

"StarClan," Tigerstar growled. "Ashfur, if you want to be a warrior, kill her."

"When hedgehogs fly," Ashfur said and walked over to his mother.

"Then we will kill your spirit instead," Hawkfrost growled. Brindleface wrapped her tail around Ashfur protectively.

"You do not belong in the Dark Forest, Ashfur," she mewed to the grey tom.

"But why? I almost killed three cats!"

"You only loved too much, little one. Now let's leave these tyrants and go to StarClan," Brindleface replied and began to guide Ashfur to StarClan, his true home.