Feeding Fire

A/N: This is how Leopardfur gave Hawkpaw and Mothpaw to ThunderClan in the Dark Leadership.

"Leopardfur, Tigerstar's here to talk to you." Leopardfur's head rose as she recognised Stonefur's voice. The dark tabby ThunderClan leader was standing by her, his emotionless amber gaze staring down at her, somewhat giving the feeling that they were burning through her, or trying to figure out something.

"Greetings, Tigerstar," Leopardfur mewed as she sat up. Her gaze rested onto Stonefur. "You may leave now." Stonefur dipped his head respectfully and walked away. I wonder what has brought Tigerstar to RiverClan. She felt happy to see him regardless of what he wanted, good or bad.

"Isn't Crookedstar still leader, or did he die?" Tigerstar questioned.

"Crookedstar is away from RiverClan to do some important things," Leopardfur answered. "And for as long as he is away, I'm in charge of RiverClan. What's brought you here anyway?"

"I want to speak to you about Hawkpaw and Mothpaw," Tigerstar replied.

Leopardfur's gaze narrowed into slits as she carefully scanned him. What would he want with my warriors now? She didn't know if she should decline straight away, but just decided to question him further. "Why would you want to talk about them?"

"They're ThunderClan cats. I want them to join my Clan, where they rightfully belong." Tigerstar stared down at his claws, which were longer than the average claw. "I do not wish to spill blood over this, but I will if I have to."

"They're RiverClan warriors!" Leopardfur's voice rose into a hiss as her pelt bristled slightly. "ThunderClan has no right to barge into my territory and ask for RiverClan's warriors. We don't give up warriors as easily as you think we do, Tigerstar. Why don't you go recruit some kittypets like your Clan is known for now?"

Tigerstar seemed to remain calm, as if the RiverClan's anger hadn't done anything. "Yes, but you must hear of my reason." Of course I should. But your reason better be good enough if you think you can just ask me to give up two good cats. Leopardfur kept her thoughts to herself.

"Then what is your reason?"

"Hawkpaw and Mothpaw were born to a rogue named Sasha, I know you know that," Tigerstar began. "But what you do not know-or any other cat-is that I am their father."

Disbelief shook through Leopardfur, as well as hints of pain, as if thorns were attacking her heart. She tried her best not to show how she felt about discovering that Tigerstar was their father. Surely that was just a lie? "You can't be their father. Every cat in the forest knows that you only like pure Clan cats, not rogues, loners or kittypets."

Tigerstar nodded. "That is true," he admitted, "but Sasha isn't like any other normal outsider you see. She's different." His gaze clouded as if memories were shooting through his mind. "I may seem like a hypocrite there, but I am not one."

"If you really are telling me the truth, I can't just let you take Hawkpaw and Mothpaw. I will always keep to Sasha's wish, not anyone else's. She personally gave them to RiverClan, and they will stay here. Kits never go to the father's Clan, and I will keep it that way."

"That's not what happened with Greystripe's kits," Tigerstar pointed out. "You let ThunderClan have them."

"ThunderClan fought to have them," Leopardfur corrected. "Crookedstar only gave in the end because he realised there was no need for bloodshed over two kits. But Stormpaw and Featherpaw are RiverClan cats at heart, and the sooner they realise that, the better things will be."

"But Hawkpaw and Mothpaw are my kits. What use is them being in a Clan where their kin do not serve? They don't have RiverClan blood at all; they have ThunderClan blood through their veins. They may show loyalty to your Clan, but they have ThunderClan blood and always will."