Chapter 7:

It's been about a week since the whole thing with Michael. I felt bad, really. I didn't mean to flick a switch. Nevertheless, we already left that house a couple days ago and had moved onto the next city, which was a smaller town, I already forgot the name.

It's around nine A.M. and I'm sitting alone on a gigantic stage amplifier with headphones on, looking at the to-be crowded stadium.

I block out the noises and just look at my lap with the sound of my mom's voice in my ears.

"I'm going to live like tomorrow doesn't exist. Like it doesn't exist," She sings. I don't know why, but I've been listening to my mom's old songs, like when she first started singing. This song came off her second album; her second best-selling one.

I do think one reason why I'm listening to her older music more is to put myself into that era; with the stories Michael is telling me. I also started researching back into when my mom and dad started dating, back when Michael put on a show, to the old YouTube videos they filmed together. Just as friends, though.

I have to admit, Michael put on a good cover up. You couldn't tell even tell what he was thinking in those moments when my mom was sitting next to him, laughing and smiling, and he was doing the same.

But then the news articles rolled in.

"Jade!" Someone yells from below.

I take off my earphones and look past my dangling feet. Ashton's about ten feet under me.

"How did you get up there?" He asks me, squinting one eye from the sun.

"There's a ladder and a couple other amps," I shrug.

"Oh," Is all he responds for a moment. "Your dad's looking for you."

"Okay," I slide backwards and down the ladder that only goes halfway down, then jumping from amp to amp until I'm on the physical stage. Ashton waits for me at the bottom and walks with me.

"Luke talked about bringing you guys onstage for the last few songs," Ashton says, then looks at me.

"Who's 'you guys?'" I ask.

"You, Ella, and Mikayla's coming," He responds, then looks back in front of him as we walk still.

"Is that why he wants to see me?"

"Not all of it."

We stay silent the rest of the time as he leads me backstage. The other three boys are in the dressing room, sprawled on the couch or the remaining chairs.

"Hey," My dad smiles at me from the couch.

"Hi," I smile back with a small wave. He sits up on the couch to give me room to sit down. Calum's next to me on his phone.

"What you up to?" He asks me when I sit and lazily puts an arm around my shoulder, pulling me closer.

"Listening to music," Is all I say.

"Speaking of music, would you want to join us on stage?" My dad asks. I glance at Ashton from across the room, him giving me back a slight 'I-told-you-so' look.

"Sure."

"Really? You mean it?" My dad looks surprised.

"Yeah, I mean it," I let out a chuckle.

He chuckles back, "Okay then."

Michael walks in, looking like he just woke up; his hair tousled and eyes dark.

"Mornin'," Calum says to Michael.

Michael mumbles something back while rubbing his eyes, stepping fully in the room. "I need coffee," He says loud so everyone can hear.