Chapter Ten.

The rest of the party was cool. My mom and Tyrone showed me around to different people who would I would be going to school with. Every now and then, Jamil and Myles would pull me away from him, but I'd get right back with him. They didn't understand. I'd only been here for a couple hours, but me and Tyrone had that special connection.

Today was my first day of school. To be honest, I didn't want to go. I was going with Ricky and he was in all of my classes. It felt weird being in the same grade with my little brother since I was used to being with Tae. We always had different classes because he was in the sixth grade, but Ricky's in the eighth with me!

Right now, we're in Language Arts, learning new techniques we could use to write an essay. My throat itches a lot, and I really need to cough, but I don't want to. I keep clearing my throat, but it's so annoying! It won't go away!

"Can I get some water?" I asked.

"No."

A couple people laughed. She's so rude!

"Please?"

"What is water going to do when you're taking the Writes Test?"

"What is the test going to do when I'm sitting here choking on my own spit?" Everybody laughed and went, "Ooh!"

"Get out of my class!"

"Gladly! At least then, I won't have to ask an ill-mannered old woman if I could go get some water! It would've only took me like thirty seconds! It takes longer than that for me to pee! What would I miss in thirty seconds? You breathing?" I scoffed and walked out. Forget this, I'm heading to Ty's class!

When I got there, they were all just chilling and laughing. I guess they had a substitute.

"Hey, Jordyan!" Some random kid yelled.

"Do I know you?" I asked rudely.

The class burst out laughing. How do all these kids know me? I know I met a lot of people at the party, but that doesn't mean they can just go around talking to me. We're not cool like that! I sat down next to Ty and he wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

"What's up, Jay?"

"Hey, Ty. Who's that kid?"

"Oh, that's Leo. My left hand man. He knows how to get a job done."

"Oh, alright."

"Yeah, why are you here?"

"That old lady pissed me off! I asked if I could get some water and she had the nerve to tell me no! These people don't know me, Ty. I'm going to end up bussing!"

"Calm down, girl. It's a reason you got sent here. Nobody wants you to end up going to juvie."

I just sighed and laid my head down to sleep.

~*~

"I can't believe you left class!" Ricky said as we walked to the car loop.

"Whatever."

As we got in the car, I noticed Jamil walking towards me, along with Myles.

"Yo, we need to talk. Now." Jamil said.

"About what?" I asked as I dropped my book bag in the car.

"You."

I gave him a twisted look before telling my mom I'd be with them. We made our way over to Myles's car and got in. When he started to pull off is when they started talking.

"You and Ty need to be over with." Myles said.

"Excuse me?"

"Y'all can't be friends."

"And why not?"

"He's not a good influence on you. I heard about you going off on your teacher and leaving class, that ain't gone cut it." Jamil said.

"Look, Ty doesn't have anything to do with that. This isn't my first time leaving class. As a matter of fact, this is the best I've ever done! I usually curse and leave school entirely! Don't blame my actions on Tyrone because y'all are jealous!"

"Jealous of what?" Asked Myles, "You hanging with some hood-rat? I could care less about what you do with him! I'm worried about you and your future. The reason you're even here is because you kept getting in trouble up in Detroit. DeAndre told me to watch out for you an-"

"DeAndre?"

"Yeah, DeAndre, he's my cousin. He's really been feeling you lately and he misses you. He told me not to let you get into anymore trouble."

"I don't care who he's missing and how he feels about me! He's the reason I'm here in the first place!"

All he did was sigh. It was silence for awhile until we came up to my house, "All I'm asking, is that you don't get too involved with him. He's bad news."

I rolled my eyes and went inside where my mother was waiting with a belt, "The school called me today, Jordyan. Your teacher said that she was verbally assaulted and you just up and left class during the lesson."

"I'm not going to deny it, but before you beat me, you should know the full story."

"I'm listening."

"Okay, I was in class and she was going over things I already knew. All I asked was to get some water. It's not like I know any of these kids here so I'm not just going to stay in the hallway for an hour. She didn't even think about it, she just said no. So I asked again and she started getting all smart because I said please. I could've been sitting there choking or dehydrated and she wouldn't even let me go get a sip of water!"

She sighed, "Jordyan, just try to calm yourself, okay?"

"I did. Instead of me leaving school, I just left the class. I'm getting better, Frank- I mean, mom."

"Good," She just completely ignored the Frankie part, "Ricki will be done with his homework in a few minutes so you can just wait for him."

"Wait for him to do what?"

"Go outside. I don't want you out there alone."

"But I won't, I'll be with Tyrone."

What about Myles and Jamil?"

"They don't like Ty. They say that he's bad people, but he's no different than me. We all have our moments, his are just part of his personality."

"That's why I have no problems with you being around him. He's trying to change and I want you to change. I was honestly hoping that you two could change together, for the better."

"Alright, mama."

"Now, please don't leave class anymore."

"I'll try."