Chapter Twelve.

"Come here, baby."

I finished washing the dishes and walked over to him, "Yes?"

"Why you washing dishes? You ain't no maid."

"I don't know." I shrug, "Just what I do. My brothers used to always make me wash dishes."

"Well, I hope you're done because we're about to go."

"Where?"

"Just out walking. We need to spend some time together," He looked over my shoulder at Ricki, "alone."

"Okay."

-Park

"You remember when I was running around screaming how my brother is going through puberty a few months back?" I ask.

"Yeah, what about it?"

"His voice is deeper now and I don't like it."

"Why not? That means he's becoming a man." He chuckled in a baritone pitch.

"A man? He can be Man Of The Year and I'll still see him as my little baby who gives great advice."

"Whatever you say."

My phone started ringing and I quickly answered when I saw 'Puberty Blues' pop up. Yep, Tae has finally gotten a phone, "Hey, sweetie!"

"It's summer, where are you?"

"Oh yeah, I'm sorry. Tell daddy to call Frankie and ask her what's going down because I don't have any information on that, okay? Can you do that for me, or will you forget?"

"I can do it. Sheesh, I'm not a kid anymore, I'm a man!"

"Okay, li'l man, I got you. Text me, alright? I'm busy right now."

"Okay, I love you."

"I love you, too, bye-bye."

"What were y'all talking about?"

"Me going up there and hanging with them for summer."

"What about me?"

"I'm with you all the time. I haven't seen my family since November---seven months---chill."

"Can I come?"

"To Detroit?"

"Duh, where else are you going?"

"Fine, but don't trip when you see my lifestyle."

"Alright."

-Detroit

"Oh home sweet home!" I screamed as I entered the living room.

"I don't see why you brought all this stuff, knowing you still had things here." Anthony complained.

"Shut up and throw it in my room." I looked around, "Now where's my little man?"

Tae's head popped out from the kitchen and he cheesed as he ran up to me.

"Oh my gosh, you're taller than me!" I yelled.

"I told you I'm a man now."

"Whatever, you're still my baby."

"Andre said he's coming over later. He wants to catch up."

"Who's Andre?" Ty questioned.

"A friend, don't worry about him."

He gave me the side-eye as I hugged everyone and laughed with them.

~*~

Once I saw him, I took this as my chance. SLAP! He grabbed my hand and was about to do it back until my dad broke it up, "Naw, we ain't doing this again." I smirked as he gave me his 'This isn't over' look.

We ventured outside and onto the sidewalk as we spoke, "I've missed you."

"Save the crap, Andre."

"Naw, I'm serious. I missed you. I still think we should be together."

"Em, how many baby mamas have you said that to?"

"None. I don't even have any baby mamas."

"Whatever. It doesn't even matter though. I got somebody."

"Who?"

"Me."

We both looked up to see Tyrone. He pulled me by my waist towards him, "This Andre?"

"Yeah, jit, who you?" Andre asked, pulling me back towards him.

"Tyrone, now back yourself up."

"Man, come on, Jay."

I just stood there, confused. Andre is my childhood friend, but Ty is my boyfriend. Why can't they just get along?

"Oh what's up? You done went down there with your moms and got a boyfriend, now you think you can't chill with me? I loved you first and I know you felt the same exact way! But forget it, I guess you don't care anymore."

"Andre, wait-"

"Don't tell him to wait! Let him leave!" Ty began to get infuriated, "He isn't your man, I am!"

"Tyrone, he's-"

"He's what? Just a friend, remember? Now, let's go!"

He snatched my arm violently and I flinched, "Ouch, get off of me! At least I was able to trust him from the jump! Ever since I got down to S.C, people have been telling me not to trust you, but I still messed with you anyways! Just leave me alone!" I ran after Andre, hoping he was at his house.

~*~

"Where's your brother?" I questioned Deshaun.

"In his room, why?"

"Nothing."

I lightly tapped on Andre's door before granting myself entrance.

"What do you want?"

"Andre, I'm sorry about Ty. I don't know what's wrong with him. He's a cool guy once you get to know him."

"I'm not mad at him, I'm mad at you."

"What'd I do?"

"You just forgot about me. When you left, I was over here going crazy. I didn't hear from you at all! Do you know how I felt? We've been through a lot together and you just threw it all away."

"I understand, but what did you want me to do? Just dwell on the past? I have to move forward just like you should. I'm not going to stand here and tell you I don't love you because it would be a lie. But I do know we can't have that kind of relationship. At least, not now."

He sucked his teeth, "Come here." I walked over to where he was laying down, "I love you." He admitted as he brushed some hair out of my face.

"I love you, too."

I leaned down to kiss him, only to have his brother burst in the room, "Load up, we've got company!"

I was thrown off of him and he went for the closet. He came out with a handgun and started loading it.

"What's going on?"

"I don't know."

"Andre, why do you have a gun?"

"Long story, babe. I have to tell you later. Maybe when your boyfriend isn't around."

He ran out and I heard a couple shots. Getting pessimistic, I ran out in the front yard to see Andre laying on the ground and Deshaun nowhere to be found.

"Andre!"