Chapter 8: Visiting Day

Summer

Today was Visiting Day at school.There's one day every year that the students are separated into small groups of about 10. These groups are sent to a specific room where their parents are waiting for them. A day where parents visit their children... And mine never show up. I miss them terribly, however I have never cried. I used to but I don't since it's happened so many times already. I don't see a reason to cry anymore over that. Besides, Gold and Freddy let me meet their parents every year so it's kinda like I'm part of their family in a way. It's not the same, but it works for me.

Right now, Gold, Freddy, and I, along with other students, were on our way to our chosen room. It was mostly the same room every year. It was a small classroom with space and star decorations all around. There were small tables to fit four students at each. We sat down at one table all to ourselves. Finally, the parents came in and we all hugged our parents.

"My, look at how much you boys have grown!" Gold and Freddy's mom said. They hug as their dad ruffled the twins' hair.

"And it's nice to see you too, (Y/N)," their mom said.

"Hi," I say with a smile.

"(Y/N)," Nanny said. She looked at me sadly and motioned for me to follow. I did. Gold watched me leave. We walked to an empty room and Nanny had me sit in a chair. She looked nervous.

"Sweetie, I need to tell you something very important. Your parents won't be coming back," she says.

"What do you mean?" I asked, worry laced in my voice. I knew what was coming next.

"They died. On their way home from dropping you off here, they were in a car crash. We never told you because you were so young, but you have matured a little more, even at your age. I'm terribly sorry, Sweetheart."

I nodded. Nanny hugged me tightly and I felt sad...

But I didn't cry...

I knew it was wrong, but after so many years without them, I didn't feel as close. My parents, now dead, weren't important because they were never really around. I love them dearly, but I just don't have that connection anymore.

Nanny brought me back to my room. She left me in there since she had to go to a meeting. I sighed and flopped on my bed. I'm never going to see my parents again. I may never see Timothy or Vivian again. My life before this school is gone. There was nothing I could go back to. 

Suddenly, I heard a knock on my door. I got up and answered it. I was quickly engulfed in a hug. 

"Gold?" I ask. "What are you doing here? Why aren't you with your parents and Freddy?"

"I heard what happened to your parents. I wanted to make sure you were okay. And, my parents told me that I should be with you in your time of need," he explained. He looked at me and his face become a look of confusion.

"What's wrong?"

"You're not crying. Did you not like your parents?"

"It's not that. It's just that I grew distant from my parents after I was dropped off here and I lost that connection to them. I miss them, but I feel as though it would be wrong to cry for them since I'm not really close anymore."

Gold shakes his head and frowns. He puts a hand on each of my shoulders and leans down to my eye level. He looks directly into my eyes.

"You are their daughter. You have the right to cry for them if you need to. No one will judge or penalize you and your parents won't be angry at you. They loved you no matter what and they will always be with you, in your heart," he says, never breaking eye contact. I felt something go down my cheek and that's when I noticed I was crying. I hugged Gold tightly and he rubbed my back to comfort me. He stayed silent, but I knew he meant every word and he was right.

After I finally stopped crying, we went into the living room and sat on the couch. We talked about different things, like school and music and singing. He promised he would teach me to sing so we could sing duets when we are together. I smiled. I was upset about my parents, but I knew Gold was right. My parents would watch over me. They must be proud at me for making friends and getting a good education. I was happy. Maybe one day we'll all meet again and Timothy and Vivian will be there too. We'll be the happy family that we once were. Someday...

I grew tired and leaned on Gold's shoulder. He wrapped an arm around me and picked up a book that was on the table. He began reading to me. Memories of when I was 7 and he was 9 flooded my mind. He used to read to me all the time. I smiled and slowly fell asleep.