Chapter 25: Respect

"I know he cheated.... But I don't want to loose him." Cayla is gleaming with tears as she explains everything

"Cayla... Sometimes you're better off loosing people. You have to respect yourself."

I bring out a finger and wipe her tears. I feel awful. She doesn't know how to let go. Cheating is not something you can forgive and forget. Its different. Respect is key in a relationship and if you're going to cheat then all of the respect is gone.

"But Aly, I love him" she's getting weaker and weaker as she speaks. As if she needs him to survive.

"Sweetie, you don't need no man. You're a strong independent black woman." I add a bit of sass

Cayla laughs a little and then looks at me. Like she really looks at me. I swear she's burning a hole through my face

"Alison, you amaze me."

"How?" Now I'm curious

"You can sit here and lift me up and say all the right things, but you don't stand up to the bullies. What's so different? What changes?" She gives me a small smile

"I just freeze. They have power over me. When they say those things it hurts. So I figure, why not just wait for the next hit. Fighting makes it worse" I am tearing up

"They don't have power unless you give it to them." She sounds so stern if I was standing I'd take a step back.
**

"Daddy! Daddy!" I shout as I run through the house

His car was in the driveway. I run into his room and can't believe what I find. My day in bed with.... So many empty bottles of beer. I can't even count.

The last time this happened was right after my mom died. I had come home to find him just like this.

"Hey sweetie" all my dads words are slurred as he try to get up. He failed.

"Daddy? Are you OK?" I was in denial

"I could never be better!" My dad rolls off his bed.

I rushed over to help him when he swatted me away with his hand. I flung across the room and hit the floor.

"Daddy?" I cried out scared

My dad began to cry Niagara Falls. All he could repeat was I'm sorry. He never hit me again. Never even got drunk.

Well until tonight. I look at him passed out this time. I do not want to wake him up. No repeats of last time. Its too much.

Kind of a short filler chapter. But its important to the rest of the book. So I guess not a filler chapter. Anyways if anyone was offended by the Strong Independent Black Woman thing I'm sorry. If it really bothered you message me about it. It just a joke. Its basically reperenting the way times have changed. I don't know, I don't see it being a issue but just in case. Please vote and comment.