s i x

Arden squinted, trying to adjust to the bright lights shining on her face. She stood on a huge white screen, forcing her smile to look a little less fake. It was her first time trying out modelling, and she hoped that she would soon adapt to the environment. Assistants stood behind the camera watching her, or walking around with clipboards in their hands. She smiled at her new manager Jeyna, who gave her a thumbs up and a warm smile.

"Okay, that's great. Just tilt your head a little to the left and smile slightly." Arden's new photographer, Steve instructed her some poses while he snapped away on his camera. Arden wore a stunning red skin tight dress, that clung onto her showing her curves. The black lace heels she wore bit into her toes, but she endured it for he sake of her new job. "You're a little stiff honey, loosen up a bit." Steve pouted looking through the photos he took.

Arden rolled her shoulders back and a wave of confidence struck her, making the muscles in her body to relax. "That's better!" Jeyna squealed.

"Bob!" Steve called out, and got an immediate response from a short chubby guy who came running to him carrying make up in a bag. "Touch up on Arden's face." He pointed to her and started to instruct the guy on the computer to scroll through the photos of Arden.

Arden stood awkwardly, waiting for someone to instruct her on what to do next. Bob waddled up to her, and she knew she had to sit down because of his height. "Thank you." He began to work on her make up, adding a bit of blush onto her cheeks and apply light candy pink lipstick on her lips. "Your first time modelling?" He asked her. Arden swallowed the forming lump in her throat.

"Yeah, it is." She replied sheepishly, giving him a small nervous smile.

"You're actually doing pretty well. Just loosen up and try to look natural." He patted her shoulder and walked off to Jeyna, who then started to write some things into her phone.

"Okay, wardrobe change!" A tall, thin blonde lady walked up to Arden pulling a rack of designer clothing. As Arden slipped on her new costume, she felt something in her self change. I was the feeling of the new person she was going to become.

*

The sound of Arden's car engine died down, as she twisted the key. It was getting pretty late for coffee, but she had a strong craving. She trudged out of the car, exhausted barely getting to the front door of Starbucks. As she was about to push the door forward, someone turned the sign to CLOSED. The boy on the other end of the door looked up at her. His eyes widened, and he opened the door. Arden remembered him from the barbecue party -- He was Kyle's little brother.

"Thanks." She smiled at him gratefully. "Ryan, right?" Arden took her coat off, folding it loosely, hanging it up on one of the empty chairs in the cafe.

"Y-yeah." Ryan muttered. "We're actually closed, but you can be the last customer for the night." His cheeks reddened, and he turned away from Arden to walk to the front counter.

"Sorry." Arden sighed, sitting down on one of the tables. "I started my new job today, and it was exhausting. Now I'm craving some caffeine."

"Oh." Ryan fumbled with his fingers, not knowing what to say. "Uh, what would you like to order then?"

She looked up at the menu above him, examining each one carefully. After two minutes of deciding, she took out her purse. "I'll have a Venti latte." Arden handed Ryan some cash.

"How 'bout you have this one on the house?" Ryan looked up at Arden, giving her a small smile.

"Are you sure?" She bit her lip, unsure about his offer. "Won't you get in trouble for this?"

"Don't worry, i'll pay for it." Ryan shrugged it off like it was nothing. He proceeded to make her coffee, also grabbing her a muffin to snack on. "It looks like you need it." He set down her latte on the table.

"Thanks Ryan. You're not as bad as i thought." Arden chuckled.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Ryan pretend to look offended at her comment. He chuckled afterwards giving her a look of confusion.

"Never mind," She shook her head, her grin growing wider. "Thanks, again."

~

n/ **enter the cat valentine voice for "What's that supposed to mean?" (x and for the venti latte Arden ordered... ew, i prefer Grande. (;
[these next chapters are just about Arden and Ryan getting to know each other better.]