e l e v e n

The frosty air bit Ryan's nose, instantly numbing it. He rubbed his arms and tried to keep up with Arden. He wasn't sure if she knew that he was following her, or if Arden was ignoring his presence like she had been doing for most of the night.

Ryan was getting worried since Arden had been walking around, and he did not know the way around the place. When he was a few feet behind her, she could hear her sobbing, and it made his heart sink. It was heartbreaking for him, and Ryan tried to put himself in Arden's shoes.

Actually, no they were both in pain. They had both been cheated on. They had both been set up on an arranged marriage. Ryan wanted to comfort Arden so badly, but he knew that she was just going to push him away.

Ryan's eyes widened as Arden walked into a dark alley. He tailed behind her, and she collapsed on the floor, bringing her knees towards her face. Ryan listened to her crying, and he finally gave in and held her in his arms. Momentarily, Arden's sobbing lessened and became quieter.

"It's okay, Arden." Ryan rubbed circles on her back, trying to comfort her. "We'll get through this together, i promise." Arden sniffed, and sucked in a deep breath. She mumbled something too inaudible for Ryan too hear. Ryan stroked her hair, rocking her gently back and forth in his arms like a baby.

After a few long minutes of trying to comfort Arden, she let go of Ryan's hug and looked at him in the eye. "Thank you for comforting me," A tear glistened on her cheek under the dim light. Ryan's hand involuntarily went to remove it.

"I know you probably hate me right now, but i'll be here to help you with anything." Ryan's voice came out as a whisper. An awkward silence broke in between them, until Ryan saw Arden's facial expressions change in the dark. It had gotten colder. Why was she pushing him away?

She hastily got up and walked out of the alley leaving Ryan on the floor. He quickly went after her, calling out her name.

"Arden, wait where are you going?" Ryan grabbed onto her wrist, stopping her from crossing the road.

"Away from here. Away from everyone. So leave me alone." Arden pulled away from his grip and made her way onto the other side of the road away from Ryan. But before she could get there, Ryan could suddenly see everything flash before his eyes. An out of control car gave a deafening screech, and before he knew it he was jumping in front of the car to save Arden.