t h i r t e e n

Arden had been sitting beside Ryan's hospital bed for more than three hours. Her head had nodded off at some points during the night, but she quickly regained her consciousness by pinching herself to stay awake. The moonlight seeped through the blinds, shining on Ryan like a dim spotlight. For a few moments she took the time to analyse his face.

Her eyes had begun to sting, and she realised that tears were trying to escape the corners of her eyes. Rapidly blinking them away, Arden tried not to remember what the doctor had told her earlier on. But she could not shut it out of her brain, it was like a broken recorder replaying the same thing again and again.

"When Ryan wakes up he may have prosopagnosia."

"What is that doctor?"

"He will have the inability to recognise the faces of familiar people."

"Is there a way to cure this?"

"He will need some time to recover. But it may get worse."

She watched as Ryan's chest went up and down, new fumes fogging up his mask. There were stitches on his forehead, and his arm was in a clean, white cast. Arden sighed deeply at the sight before her, feeling guilty and sorry. If she had just agreed with her parents and found a way out of the arranged marriage, none of these would have happened. She should've just sat down and explained to the parents everything -- how she did not like being controlled, and being made decisions for her. If only she did not walk out of that restaurant, throwing a hissy fit.

"Ryan, I don't know if you can hear me," Arden paused as if Ryan was going to reply to her, but he lay on the hospital bed unmoving. "But i'm really sorry for everything. Thank you for saving me. I just-"

The door creaked, and Arden turned around hastily, seeing a hooded shadow hovering at the doorway. A shiver ran down to her spine, as the person took one step into the room.

n/ it's short but imma cut that there :3 huahuahauahahha, sorry <3 chapter fourteen coming in a few hours maybe ? :)