Chapter 17: Lies, All Lies I Say

"I don't even know why we have to go to that dumb school," I grumbled as we entered the house. The school day had been long and hard. "I mean, we only have three more months left anyway."

"Simon told us to so we're going," Liam told me firmly. I groaned.

"But I don't wanna," I mumbled, burying my head into the couch.

"You're strange," I heard Amber sneer as she walked in.

"Speaking of the devil," I said, picking my head up from the couch. She glared at me. I returned the favor with a smirk.

"Thaila, be nice," Niall warned me.

"Oh I was. I was thinking of worse stuff than that," I told him. He tried to hid his smile as Amber stormed out of the room and Jay came in with Stephano.

"He was a nightmare," she said, handing me Stephano. "He wouldn't stop crying."

"See Liam? I need to be here with Stephano," I told him.

"He'll get over it," Liam assured me. I stuck out my tongue as he grinned. When no one was looking, I slugged him the arm. "Ow! What the hell Thaila?"

"Oooo! Liam's over here using profanity!" I teased. He frowned.

"Like you've never used profanity yourself," he retorted.

"But your the good angel child," I pointed out. Liam rolled his eyes, but didn't say anything else. I thought Stephano would be hungry, so I walked into the kitchen. Well, almost. I was about to walk in when I heard talking. So, being me, I had to eaves drop. Luckily, Stephano was also in a snooping mood, because he was quiet.

".... it was nothing," Niall groaned.

"Lies! All lies I say!" Amber sniffed. Had she been crying?

"I'm not lying babe," he told her. 

"Then promise me you're never ever going to hang out with that... That slut ever again!" she huffed.

"What? I couldn't do that. Thaila..." Niall broke off.

"See? You are still in love with her!" she cried. I gently smiled.

"No I'm not!" Niall roared. My smile was wiped off my face. I peeked behind the corner. Just enough for me to get a glimpse of what was going on. Niall had Amber cornered against the wall. My heart jumped to my throat. What was he doing? 

"Niall...," Amber whispered with a little too much passion.

"I don't like Thaila," Niall grunted. "She's stupid, arrogant, mean-"

"Like you?" I stepped into the kitchen. Niall whipped around, his face a bright shade of red.

"T-Thaila!" he sputtered. "What are you doing-"

"Can it Niall," I stormed. "I'm done with you Niall. Done. I really thought you still loved me but OBVIOUSLY you don't. Have fun with Amber." I grabbed a bottle out of the fridge silently and left; Niall trying to talk to me.

"Thaila I- Not what it looks- I'm sorry- Forgive-" I stopped him.

"Sorry for what? Saying what you said? Too late now," I sighed.

"Thaila, I said that because she was getting upset that I was spending too much time with you," he said softly. "I would never say that. I swear."

"You just said them," I said with an edge.

"Because Amber was getting suspicious! If we aren't dating, Simon will drop us!" Niall exclaimed in frustration. 

"She won't dump you. She's despereate," I mused.

"Then why are you upset?"

"Because of what you said!"

"I didn't mean it!"

"Lies!"

"Thaila..."

"Don't. Want. To. Hear. It."