Chapter One

"Leah, hurry up and finish packing!" my mom yells up the stairs to me.

I live in a small house in Philadelphia with my mom. My dad walked out on us when I was younger. He never said why, just up and left. But who needs him?

My mom and I are in the process of moving to a place called Holmes Chapel. She got called over there to work so I have no choice but to move with her. I'm really gonna miss Philly.

"Leah let's go! 15 minutes and we're outta here!" she yells again.

I finish packing the last of my things and start carrying boxes downstairs. My mom helps bring them to the moving truck, we say goodbye to our memory-filled house and start our journey to Holmes Chapel.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Our boxes are being shipped to our new house since they can't come on the plane with us.

"Say goodbye to Philly" my mom sighs.

I can tell that she doesn't want to leave Philly and to be quite honest, I don't either. Philly is the only place I could ever call 'home', all my friends and family are there. There's no way that I could make new friends like the ones I have in Philly.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

We walk down the narrow hallway into the plane and find our seats. I search through my bag and find my iPod. One of my favorite songs come on shuffle. Daylight by Maroon 5. I turned the volume all the way up to try to block out all my thoughts of this new place, Holmes Chapel. it seems to be so hard, all these questions stream through my head like a tsunami.

"What's my new school going to be like?"

"Will I ever make friends again?"

"Will my neighbors accept us?"

"What will my room look like?" my thoughts were cut off when my mom speaks,

"I think you're gonna love our new home" she says with a smile rubbing circles on my arm.

"This place will never be home" I snarwl.

"Oh Leah, don't say that. Holmes Chapel is beautiful! You'll make all new friends, have a bigger bedroom, your own bathroom, and you can even get that dog you've been bugging me about." She says softly, trying to convince me that Holmes Chapel will make me forget about Philadelphia. But my own bathroom does sound kind of nice..

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Hours have past and I realize, the plane has landed. I gather my things and follow my mom out of the plane. We walk to the front of the airport where there's a man in a suit holding a sign that says: MS. LEAH & MARIA BROWN.

We walk over to him and he greets us with a warm grin. He takes our bags and puts them in the trunk of his taxi. He opens the door for us, we step in and make our way to our new house.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

We arrive at our house after a long taxi ride. He helps us out and leaves as quickly as he came.

The house is huge! Stone sidings, big wooden doors, a driveway, a garden, and we've even got our own yard this time.

My mom brings the bags into the house and I explore our new neighborhood. All of the houses look similar which is kind of creepy. As I walk past our "next door neighbor's house" I hear a loud slam which makes me stop dead in my tracks.

I turn around to see a tall, curly-haired boy standing on the front lawn. He throws me a small wave, and plops onto the grass with his headphones in.

I walk back to our house and help my mom unpack. I bring my boxes to my room and notice that I have a perfect view of his house. He's still laying on his lawn when I look out my window.

My bed has been set up already so I put my new, crisp bedsheets on and throw my pillows on top followed by myself. I lay there looking at my ceiling and seen headlights past through my window.

Being the news bag that I am, I get up and look out the window. It's my neighbor, it looks like he's talking to a friend who just pulled up in a car.

"Leah!" My mom called from the kitchen.

I skip down the stairs and into the kitchen where my mom is cooking. I begin setting the table.

"You start school in the morning" she smiles at me.

I roll my eyes "Oh great."

School- another place where I'd feel like an outcast, Isn't it bad enough that I had to move halfway across the world?

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

After we finish eating, there was a knock at the door.

"I got it!" I yell, kind of excited.

I open the door to reveal a lady with a grin on her face.

"Hi, I'm Anne!" She greets me.

"I'm Leah." I say

Just as she walks in, I start shutting the door when i felt it being pushed back open.

"Woah, did you not see me?" The curly-haired boy asked, a little annoyed as his piercing green eyes burn straight through my brown ones.

"I-I, ummm, I Didn't know-" I stutter.

"Well, be careful next time" He smiles slightly and follows his mom into the kitchen.

"Next time?" I think to myself as I follow closely behind the boy.

"Leah, this is Anne and her son Harry. Our next door neighbors." My mom properly introduces us.

Oh Leah, you guys don't have to sit with us, you can show Harry your room or go out back-" my mom starts as she sees me sit at the kitchen table.

"Yeah uhh, Leah let's go out back" Harry mumbles ushering me out the back door.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

The sky is black twinkling with stars, Harry and I sit in my backyard picking at the grass.

"So how long have you lived here?" I ask a little hesitant.

"Basically, my whole life" he replies in a deep, chilling voice.

"Do you like it here so far?" He asks me as our eyes meet.

"Not really." I sigh.

"Why is that" Harry asks, his eyebrows in a frown.

"I just feel like an outcast, I'm starting a new school, I have to make all new friends, I just-"

"Hey hey.." Harry whispers pulling my chin up and cutting me off.

"You've got me" He smiles, rubbing my face with his large thumb.

I feel my face getting hot, I'm probably even blushing. I sit there smiling like an idiot when Harry's mom calls him inside.