Shadow Bound (1)

The train shimmered crimson under the early September sun

The train shimmered crimson under the early September sun. Outside its long exterior, hundreds of families stood huddle together. Mothers suppressed tears, fathers gave firm handshakes, and younger siblings stood in awe of the train that would take their siblings away for the year. Some, however, were alone on that day.

Tucked away within a cabin, sat a petite girl with shiny plaited brown hair in an over-sized jumper that hung heavily from her thin frame, engulfing her. Her spindly fingers traced the pattern embroidered on the upholstered wool seat next to her without focus. Her thoughts flurried across her golden eyes as if frantic butterflies. The busy English magical community buzzed around her; platform 9 3/4 was swamped in its annual back-to-school chaos. Capes and caps formed a pulsating ocean of black. Students bustled through the train's narrow corridor, all calling and searching for their friends. 

She sat alone, quietly observing the strangers passing by her coach.  Her only company was a rather monstrously sized white cat, who had draped himself lethargically in her lap; his frame taking up the entirety of her lap. 

SQUEE. With an aged squeal, the cabin door slid open and the once lazy cat stood on all fours hissing at the intruders. A boy, a distinct red head overflowing with freckles, opened stopped all of a sudden, staring at the defensive cat.

"Is this coach op-" He started to say.  Behind the boy were four more students, each pressed close to one another in the corridor, others behind him complaining of being squished. One told him to move in, but the boy did not budge.

"Fred, move! There are too many people out here!" His freckled face stared directly at the girl, he found she had the softest features. Then, as if he had been hit by a bludger from behind, he flew forward, the trance was broken and the hissing cat launching itself in his direction. The girl lept from her seat, attempting to snatch the cat away from the red-headed stranger, but the cat had swiped the young man across the cheek, drawing blood.

"Bloody hell!"

"Oh my Goblins, I am so sorry-" both said aloud as they collided into one another. Her hand rested on his and their faces grew red; both awkwardly pulled away. The boy pushed off his hands and the girl back into her seat, scolding the cat while placing it in a cage.

"Please, let me heal your face, I feel terrible! Fingal did not mean to hurt you, he is a very protective cat around strangers!" She frantically patted her pockets and stood too quickly, hitting her head on the storage area above. Whack.

"Are you sure you don't need me to heal you instead?" The boy said cheekily. He walked in and sat across from her and his four friends joined. She hadn't noticed another boy that looked exactly like him standing behind him, it took her by surprise. Her eyes grew wide with worry.

"Oh, Morgana... Am I seeing double? I didn't realize how hard I hit my head." All around her was laughter, the room lit up like fireworks. She sat down shaking her sore head.