Shadow Bound (8)

Boxing Day arrived quietly, students slept soundly in their beds tired but happy from the night before

Boxing Day arrived quietly, students slept soundly in their beds tired but happy from the night before. Chelsea woke to the gentle tapping of glass. In a sleepy daze, she shuffled to the window, allowing the Long-Eared owl to enter. Tied to its leg in an elegant Christmas bow was a parcel and letter. Frost latticed the window, revealing snow-covered hills and an iced-over lake. 

"Hi Barnstable, here boy." Chelsea handed the owl a treat before removing the letter from its ankle. Her mother's owl was a graceful creature with a sweet temperament. The large owl cocked his head side to side before snatching the treat with a greedy satisfaction whilst shaking residual snow off its wings. Fingal purred softly before snuggling the large bird. Barnstable made no protest to the feline affection. A protesting moan sounded from the other side of the room as Elisabeth burrowed deeper into her covers. The sound of ruffling sheets could be heard from the other side of the door. 

Under the dim morning light, the letter damp from the snow flurry it traveled through but was not ruined. In neat, small letters, it was her mother's response. With bated breath, Chelsea read on.

"Ugh

"Ugh." 

 For the past week, Chelsea and many other Hogwarts students had put off their school work since the holidays began. Knowing not much else could be done until she went home that evening, Chelsea found herself trying to focus on something else as going back to bed was no longer an option. Barnstable had flown home, and Fingal had dozed back off into a slight slumber in the discarded bed.

Wrapped in one of Oliver's former Gryffindor jumpers, Chelsea made her way to the Astronomy tower; she always found she did her work better there than anyway else in the school, plus many students avoided the Astronomy tower as it was cold in the winter weather. Despite the current absurdity of her life and its discomfort, the air always seemed fresher from there.