Chapter 26

Kimberley’s hands tremble slightly as she checks the phone line’s dead and replaces the receiver.  

“You ok? You‘ve been gone ages” 

The sound of Cheryl’s voice behind her makes Kimberley jump causing the Geordie to give her a look of concern.

“Kimba what’s wrong babe?” 

“They’re coming round, my mum and dad, they’re coming round right now and I’ve not even had a chance to prepare, to tell them anything, oh God what if they totally freak out?!”

Cheryl draws Kimberley into her arms, holding the nervous blonde close to her and stroking down her back.  She’d never seen Kimberley so frantic before, normally she was the cool, calm and collected one of the two of them.  Obviously this time it would be up to her to take control of the situation no matter how much she herself was bricking it over meeting the in-laws.

“Let’s start at the beginning” Cheryl soothes, “how much do they already know?”

“Just that I’ve met someone new, I mean I only told them about us when I started thinking of coming out.  They don’t know that we’ve been together all these months or how I met you even.  I wanted to sit them down and tell them properly Chez, I didn’t want it to be like this!”

“It’s going to be ok” Cheryl states, releasing a panicked Kimberley from her grasp, “this is what we’re gonna do. I’ll tell the girls to go and finish off the last few jobs on the pool and I’ll get my lot to make themselves scarce til we’ve spoken to your lot.  Then, hoping things go well, we can introduce them to each other. Agreed?”

“Agreed” Kimberley nods before pulling Cheryl in for a breathtaking kiss.

“What was that for?”

“Being amazing”

“Let’s hope your mam and dad think so”

******************************************************************

“Here goes” Kimberley states, tensing as the buzzer for the gates goes, “wish me luck”

“Good luck” Cheryl smiles nervously, smoothing down her bobbled hair and checking over the fresh pair of jeans and plaid shirt she’s just quickly changed into, first impressions and all that.

Kimberley disappears from the living room re-appearing a few minutes later followed by a smartly dressed older woman and man.  Unsure what to do Cheryl gets to her feet, giving them a polite smile and proffering her hand.

“Mr and Mrs Walsh, I’m Cheryl Tweedy, it’s nice to finally meet you”

“Oh so you’re the one that she’s putting her entire career on the line for” Diane eyes Cheryl up, thrusting her hand into the Geordie’s, “look I don’t automatically trust you but Kimberley obviously thinks a lot of you so I’m prepared to see what it is you’re offering her…”

“Mum!” Kimberley interrupts, red faced, “Cheryl’s not trying to sell me bloody timeshare, she’s my girlfriend!”

Diane winces as John shakes hands with Cheryl, giving her a small smile.

“Language Kimberley! Now why don’t you make us a nice cup of tea while we get to know your girlfriend better”

Kimberley mouths ‘sorry’ to a shell-shocked Cheryl before scampering out of the door leaving the builder with the in-laws.  They make themselves comfy on the couches, Cheryl on one, Diane and John on the other.  Kimberley’s father clears his throat before speaking.