Chapter 37

t’s mid-morning the next day when Kimberley’s roused from her slumber by Cheryl gently shaking her shoulder and whispering her name.  Shuffling herself into an upright position the Bradfordian takes the cuppa that the Geordie’s offering, sipping from it as Cheryl smiles at her, again, rather nervously.

“I know that face, what’s up?”

“It’s a bit of a problem pet…err…well more of a slight hiccup really”

Kimberley nods encouragingly,

“Go on then, honestly Chez I’ve told you before I‘m not going to bite your head off!”

“I know, I know.  Garry’s just rung.  Apparently Big Dave off the team had a few too many bevvies last night, long story short he’s twisted his ankle and they need a stand in for the charity match”

Kimberley takes another sip, 

“Sorry but I don’t know any famous footballers, it’s really not my thing”

“Well then” Cheryl grins, “how would you feel about your girlfriend saving the day?”

“Really?!” Kimberley replies with surprise and a raised eyebrow, “they’d let you play in their team?”

Cheryl laughs,

“Yeah ’course babe, it’s for charity!”

“Besides” she adds with heavy sarcasm, “I believe they allow women to do allsorts these days, even vote!”

“Fcuk off!” Kimberley chuckles, batting her on the arm, “I‘m a hundred percent behind you.  So long as you‘re in a different changing room mind, I don‘t want you being most popular member of the team for two specific reasons!”

A couple of hours later Kimberley stands on the terraces, clutching her winter jacket round her as she waits for the teams to appear from the tunnel.  The last hour had gone past in a flurry of excitement with multitudes of photos being taken by the local press, the footballers, some of the supporters themselves and two very excitable mascots.  

When the pictures appeared in the next day’s newspapers she had no doubt that she’d look the most casual she ever had in public but the thought didn’t faze her.  As she’d told Cheryl the evening before she was loving the short break from her career which, although fulfilling, was also very demanding.  Her recent schedule cut down on the amount of time she could spend with Cheryl and,  since the building work had finished and her friends had gone home in late September, Kimberley had noticed a slight change in the Geordie.  Her previous confidence would waver on occasion.  In addition the brunette seemed to worry about pleasing her twenty-four-seven, throwing herself into helpful DIY jobs in the day before satisfying Kimberley’s other, carnal needs during the night, seemingly with little thought for herself.

Kimberley had guessed that Cheryl missed her family, friends and work, probably in that order.  It was the main reason why she agreed to this break and, as Cheryl runs out of the tunnel beaming and waving at the crowd, she was more convinced than ever that it was a good idea.  Plus the Geordie looked surprisingly sexy in a footie kit.

“At least there’s some totty to hold your attention!” Nicola jokes, as she weaves through the crowd followed by Joan clutching several polystyrene cups.

“Careful it’s hot”  

Handing Kimberley her tea the redhead cups her hand round her mouth, shouting out across the pitch at the Geordie,

“Go on Chezza!  Show ‘em what you can do with yer tackle!”

Cheryl turns in their direction giving them a shy smile and a quick thumbs up, getting into position before the referee blows his whistle and the match begins.