Chapter 13: The Lab

Elevator music. "Do they have it everywhere?", Camon wondered. The beat was quick and the sound of instruments behind all the computer sounds and air horns rang in Camon's ears. "I very much dislike these wubz. I prefer a slower, instrumental computer-generated sound. It brings joy to my ears," Dr. Raven said, "this is probably one of your fathers songs... wait, yeah it is. I think this is . Can't believe I managed to remember that." "Wait, my father makes music?", Camon asked. "Yes, he makes the computer generated music. Most places call it dubstep. Some places actually categorize the dubstep based on what kind of noises it has or instruments it has in it.", Dr. Raven stated, making it obvious that he researched the topic. The music started skipping and then stopped. Dr. Raven said, "Weird, the audio system never goes out." Immediately after, the elevator stopped and the lights went out. Static began coming over the speakers. "Pssssshhht... Citizens... of Zion... pssht... Please remain calm and stay indoors... psssht... we.... are....t solving the problem.", a staticky voice said. "Too late for that... I already brought the people of Zion to the secret bunker." replied Dr. Raven. The elevator booted up again and continued moving. At last, they had reached their destination. The elevator doors opened and they stepped out. "Welcome to my humble abode, Sector R," Dr. Raven said into the echoed white cave they were standing in. The huge room has 12 floors going up and down, all lined with blue LED lights. Every floor had 4 sections with signs that labeled what the lab was used for. On the very bottom floor, however, was one big lab with a sign that said "Robot Production Facility." Camon stared, wondering why Dr. Raven had one of those. "For now, you will be staying here, in... hm... how about... Oh! Why not stay in the structure development lab, it's got plenty of couches... And a desk to read at... It'll be perfect for you. They walked towards a vine hand and ware carried up to a lab on the 7th floor. Here we are, your new residence until we can get you off of this ship. Camon looked at him thoughtfully. "Why are you doing this," he asked. Dr. Raven looked down at him with a concerned face. He had been hoping Camon wouldn't ask this. He began explaining, "Well... you see.... you were kinda sorta... well, kidnapped. Your father wouldn't stop searching until he found you, and he di-..." "WHY HELLO!", A voice interrupted from below. Dr. Raven whispered, "Quick, get behind that couch." "What good progress are you making today?", the voice asked, stepping into a vine hand. Camon ran towards the couch and ducked under it. There was just big enough space under it that he could watch their feet. The man with the voice hopped off onto the Lab floor. "I hope you're not researching that Ravenwood of yours, you know what it does to people." Dr. Raven replied, "No sir, I ditched that project years back, I'm currently working on the project... Project Galactopoly. I had to come up here for some parts I ran out of for Megaboy." Camon saw the feet of the voice turn towards his couch and come towards him. The feet kept getting closer, closer, and closer, until they stopped at the couch, turned, and seemingly sat down. Camon also saw Dr. Ravens feet do a nervous shuffle. "Well sir, what have you come here for?", Dr. Raven questioned shakily. "Well, things aren't going very well for me right now. I sent a robot on a mission to confiscate a book of my sons, and now the city of Zion is destroyed and my son is missing, probably putting his nose somewhere it doesn't belong. Also, we are behind schedule for the invasion of Overworld because of all these issues. That's all I needed to stop by and say. I appreciate your help with this." Dr. Raven walked over to a desk on it's side and picked up some tools to work on it. He replied, "Why thank you Savant... good luck finding your son," Camon suddenly came to realize that Savant, his dad, the most dangerous man on this ship, was sitting on him. Camon wondered what they were talking about with Megaboy and Project Galactopoly and robot. "Something tells me I'm going to need it. I trust you to do good on Megaboy... I want to see a fine show tomorrow.", Savant said, standing up. "Oh there will be...", Dr. Raven said under his breath, watching the vine hand grab Savant and carry him to the door. Camon heard the main lab door close and relieved his muscles. He began to move around to get up. "Stay put," Dr. Raven said, putting down a hammer . Camon assumed he wasn't talking to the hammer, so he did. Dr. Raven pulled out some sort of tool that looked like a laser pointer on a screwdriver. He aimed it right above where Camon was, at the couch, presumably. Camon heard a little pop and smelled smoke. "Hmph... Last I checked, trust didn't mean putting cameras on my furniture. Alright, you can get up now." Dr. Raven muttered. Camon immediately blurted out, "What in the world was he doing here?" "Now now, before you go flipping out at me, know that I didn't bring him here he just waltzed through the door unexpectedly.", Dr.Raven replied. "Okay fine... But what was all that stuff you were talking about with Megaboy and the other robots?", Camon questioned. "Camon, you have a lot to learn you know. I was just about to tell you about all of this but someone snooped their way in here. Come along lets sit down," Dr. Raven sighed, going over to the couch. Camon followed him and sat down. Dr. Raven put his feet onto an ottoman and continued, "Well, let's start with Archer. I built Archer as a robot to assist your father.  I am being forced to make the robots so don't think I'm some evil scientist or anything. Archer was built extremely nimble and able to maneuver. Unfortunately, I gave him a little too much brainpower and he rebelled, destroying the city of Zion and apparently, nearly killing you... What was that about." Camon looked back at his day, remembering himself waking to find that the city had been overrun. He replied, "Well, Archer nearly got me killed a few different ways, first he took my savantium, leaving me defenseless against the hordes of Mangles he was instructed to send. Then I woke up today to see that a dream I had came true, and the city was full of too many Mangles, not just the few that were supposed to be sent. Anyway I took by book and ran, killing a bunch of Mangles on my way to the balcony outside the library. That is where I found Archer in my hotel room, he had glided there from the balcony. I shot at his line with my savantium because it had a bit of Mangle on it, and it killed him... I killed Archer." There was a long pause while Dr. Raven contemplated his story. He resumed, "Alrighty then... Well, the robots, they're not easy to defeat... I'm supposed to make them that way. Your father tells me to build these robots, so I do, in fear that he'll either kill me or rip my lab and research from my hands and abandon me on some planet. But, since he was friends with my father, he can semi-tolerate me. Anyhow... Next is Project Galactopoly. Project Galactopoly is what you're father is currently making the main plan for this ship. He plans on destroying planets, stealing their resources, and making them his. Unfortunately, he can't do it without my robots. So that's where Megaboy comes in. Megaboy is the latest robot I am finishing... All i need to do is program a way to defeat him. You have to understand... I really don't want to do this... so, I came up with a plan myself... I need YOU to defeat Megaboy and save Overworld tomorrow."