R I D E

" I cared for you. I've always cared for you." ...Bamboo said in a soft tone and almost a whisper  then started the car.I think I might even be in love with you. I don't know I'm confused.

.....

Flashback: 12 years ago. The day of the prom.

It's the day of the prom. Asher is somewhat excited and at the same time depressed with the coming event.  She's excited as any other 16 year old girl will be. She and her mom and tita Marie found a simple gown  for her to wear. Well it's simple daw sabi ng mom nya at tita Marie nya. She doesn't care much. She's the jeans type of girl. Hindi sya mahilig mag ayos. She can go to school with just her hair tied in a bun. For her what matters is what's between her two ears unlike ng mga sikat na girls at school. They may look like a Barbie doll, ayos na ayos kahit school lang pero when subject studies na usapan parang mga coconuts. Hollow inside. Kaya she and Sam doesn't belong to the regular kids. Kasi they prefer being intellectual than popular.

Asher is looking at her gown. It's a Red mermaid cut gown. It's plain without any lace but it looks sophisticated and classy. Sabi ng mom nya bagay daw sa body nya. She's already 5'4 at her 16 years of age not bad at all and is slim mana sa mommy nya.

She's so excited to see him again after 5 years. Kaya ang saya nya when her mom told her na he's going to be with her sa prom. For a moment nagpasalamat pa sya at may sore eyes ang kuya Luis nya kasi she's going to have some time with her crush/kuya kuyahan. She's very excited kaya when she heard him say those words sa may garden nila, she got hurt. Well talk about first broken heart from her crush. But she let it go.

She suddenly felt sad at nawala excitement about the prom when she remembers yung narinig nya kay Bamboo. She's not expecting him to like her and all. Alam naman nya na it's kind of impossible eh pero masakit pa din pala hearing it. But then what can she do. Walang mag dridrive at sasama sa kanya sa prom so she has to go with him kahit masama loob nya dito. She knows napipilitan lang din naman ito so pareho nalang sila.

Yes, she admitted it in herself  that she have a crush on him. She's 15 whe she sees him in a different light after she saw him perform on TV. At first she thought she's just a fan until her admiration grew. She goes online to know news about him. Nobody in her family or his knew about her admiration for him.

" Anak, let's fix you up na for the prom. Francisco will be here in an hour daw sabi ng tita Marie mo." Divine is excited for her daughter. She doesn't believe she's beautiful although lagi nila sinasabi that she is. She's very intelligent and smart pero she lacks self confidence in her physical appearance.

" Sige po my..Pero my, pwdeng hindi nalang po ako pumunta? Para hindi na nakakahiya kay Bamboo, I mean kay Kuya Francisco na samahan ako."

" No, it's okay Asher. He called already. He even asked ano color ng dress mo para daw alam nya ang color ng corsage to get you."

So her mom started to fix her hair and put some make up. Nilugay lang hair nya and made big curls. She was surprised at herself nag mag mirror sya. She's wearing a contact lenses instead of her usual glasses. She's been wearing those since 6th grade kaya hindi rin sya sanay makita sarili nya without one. " Hmm.. may igaganda naman pala ako." She said to herself. She can't believe na make up can do such wonder.  ( Just imagine her sa poster ng 24/sg na medyo mas bata ng konti mukha)

" Of course you're beautiful anak. You just have to fix yourself minsan. Mag ayos ayos ka din kasi minsan." Divine was telling her daughter as she is admiring her.