Aaron Ch 10 cries in the snow

Chapter 10 cries in the snow

Stepping out of sister Roses warming arms, I held on the remainder of my torch in a death grip.

The woods seemed oddly alive around us, the bushes rustled although the heavy snow pressed down on them, the faint sound of heavy breathing carried in the wind, but I couldn't make out what it was.

The night was dark and I couldn't see my own hands before my eyes, not to mention the creatures that slowly crept in on us.

"Child, just get on Aslan and run." Roses old hand tugged at the hem of my dress, her voice coated in worry.

"No." I whispered back. I hadn't come here to abandon her after searching so hard, how could I give up now?

"Oh please, just listen to me Mellow." She tried to pull me away from my spot but my feet were rooted deep in the snow.

She fell back defeated, leaning against the tree and I concentrated on what seemed to be ahead.

Growls came nearer with every second, and finally the sound of fresh snow being stepped on reached my ears.

Booth of my hands gripped the wood I would be using as my weapon and waited.

Mere seconds passed when they arrived, I saw eyes glint, but not clearly, they stood silent for while, an agonizing time and I felt it more than I saw or heard how they charged forward to me.

Aarons POV

It was faint- but I was certain- this smell belonged to the girl.

The murky scent of ground plants.

I felt how the snow gave way under my paws as I charged forward Alistair by side, he too had noticed it. We left behind the human and Leon, ignoring their calls, as we only concentrated on not to loseing her track again, or crashing head on into the trees.

It took a few meters to notice the stinking scent of wet dogs, or wolves to be precise and just seconds later I made out her horse and some figure hidden beneath a few layers of clothing.

And I almost tripped over my own paws as I saw her, cornered by around five hungry beasts.

It didn't really surprise me to find them attacked by wolves, just the overall situation- was a bit off. The kid stood strong, her arms outstretched holding on her wooden weapon, ready to welcome her aggressors with a hearty strike.

Alistair let out loud grumbling growls that sounded like laughter, and I couldn't help but join. This was quite something. Her will to live was strong.

The wild wolves had just noticed us but they didn't move an inch probably expecting or rather hoping for us to share some bones with them.

We breached through the clearing and in a few strides passing them, to land just in front of the girl.

Menacing growls send the wolves scattering in split seconds.

Aslan- or so I remembered the name of her stallion to be, cried out in panic, but to his credit he remained in his place and didn't abandon his master, while the other human, the supposed nun crucified herself muttering a few things about Jesus.

But the girl stood there, breathing evenly, before she fell on her knees, releasing the death grip she had on the piece of wood.

Mellow's POV

The flew past me, landing on their paws, snow whirled up giving their forms some mystique and elegance, but the magical moment tore apart just as soon as it had come.