Chapter 3: More time

10 seconds later, the door opened again.

 A sudden incandescence of hope lit on Jonghyun’s door frame. But that was only momentary, since Jonghyun have to push away a girl out of it. No, it wasn’t Gwiboon. It was someone already inside the apartment before they even arrived.

 She looked like she was on her mid-20s—somewhere around 26? She was about 165cm tall and Gwiboon felt intimidated by it. The lady was wearing a red pencil skirt and black rider jacket. Overall, she was the pretty and charismatic kind.

 “Out, now.” Jonghyun instructed strictly, staring straight at the girl in front of her.

  Gwiboon carefully watched the situation as the girl slyly smiled at Jonghyun and she slipped herself on a pair of stilettos. Jonghyun, obviously annoyed by the girl, impatiently told her to fasten up. When the girl looked up, she found Gwiboon’s eyes and the younger flinched at the contact.

 “You didn’t tell me you have a visitor.” She smirked at the sight of her and scooted closer. Gwiboon tensed up more as the lady patted her head, taking advantage of their height difference.

 “Little lamb, what are you doing at the lion’s den?”  Gwiboon swore she felt rather staggered at what she said.

 “Minjung!” Jonghyun called, addressing the unknown lady. “Can’t you just leave now?”

 “Why? Are you going to have fun with this little lassie of yours? I wasn’t informed with your sudden change of ideal type.” Gwiboon didn’t know what to feel at that time. She didn’t even care at how stoic her expression was. The tension in the air was so great that she was almost at loss for breath.

 And then her head started functioning. “I think I nee- need to—take my leave now.” She stuttered here and there, almost tripping at her own feet. But she felt a sudden grip on her wrist and a whisper on her ear. “Young lady, can you please stay? I think the lion will eat me up alive if you’ll go like this. You’re going to save me, right?” she smirked with mischief then let go. “I’ll take my leave then. Bye, Jonghyun!”

 Jonghyun heaved a sigh of relief when Minjung left. “I’m sorry you had to witness that.”

 “No” she shook her head and hands simultaneously. “I’m sorry for intruding your personal space. I shouldn’t have gone here in the first place.”

 Jonghyun chuckled at Gwiboon and took her by the hand. “Come in.”

 Gwiboon lifted her head, flabbergasted. “But I thought you—“

 “My cousin made an impression that you were a guest, so.”

 Jonghyun did not know why he bothered to even tell Gwiboon about Minjung being her cousin. Usually, he’d just say that she’s his girl and send away his followers, stalkers. But maybe, Gwiboon was an exception because maybe, she looked too young and fragile. She looked weak and Jonghyun thought that he still had a heart to keep her harmless, at least; even if it wasn’t his usual routine because maybe, just maybe, he’d feel lighter and happier if he changed something. And he thought that maybe, breaking her wouldn’t be the best option.  

 Gwiboon fiddled with her shirt as she went in. The place still smelled like Jonghyun, his own distinct smell that she doesn’t feel like sharing with others.

 She gawkily sat on the far end of Jonghyun’s couch and rested her backpack against the cream-colored coffee table.  Jonghyun said he’d take a fast shower and they’ll talk which made Gwiboon feel nervous. Well, supposedly, she’s going to think of what they will talk about since it’s her who wanted to converse with him.