Chapter 3- Run-In

"Now children, I want all of you to look at this diagram. This is a representation of a single cell of color. Do you notice that though the color is mainly pink, the pink is made out of several other colors, only revealed when we zoom into it, showing reds, whites, even traces of yellow..." Mrs. Camiolle droned on. She was a fairly average teacher, short and plump, tan skin and wearing a stiff green dress. Then, since this was a school for gifted children, they might as well have gifted teachers as well, and since this was a color class, the teacher had gifts of color as well. Mrs. Camiolle had told Dawn, Chameleon, and the other 20 color students in the class that she had the power to manipulate colors, turning orange to blue and even creating new colors. But, most interesting of all, and slightly distracting when you were trying to pay attention to a droning lecture, was Mrs. Camiolle's hair. It seemed to shimmer and sparkle, each strand of it glowing a different color, and changing and shifting to a different one each time. None of her millions of hairs ever flashed the same color at the same time, so her hair was a loud spike of millions of different variations of basic colors. It was rather distracting. Even more distracting though, were the students in that class. It was all people from the color section, and they all had something that marked them as unique. That girl had eyes that were millions of colors at once, that boy was absent-mindedly twirling a strand of his long hair around his finger, lazily watching as he changed the color from soft blue to cherry red to lime green to pale yellow, and more. This was just a small sampling of all the people. Dawn was rather interested in all this, half watching and listening to Mrs. Camiolle's lecture, half watching her fellow students. Chameleon, however, didn't find it as interesting, and was a dull shade of gray as she slumped in her chair and doodled on her notepad. Mrs. Camiolle still hadn't noticed, or didn't care, how bored and uninterested her audience was, and still droned about the same cell of pink color for an hour. Finally, after all the mysteries of the color pink had been thoughtfully and rather exhaustingly talked about at length by Mrs. Camiolle, the period was finally over. Dawn and Chameleon met outside the door, to walk to their next class, which they also had together, thankfully. It was a gym class, and most of the kids who had been sorted on the same day as Dawn and Chameleon would be there, so it was a rather large class, being held in the gym, which, unfortunately, was all the way across the school. They walked pretty quickly, just shy of running.

"Oh my god I never want to look at the color pink again," Dawn groaned.

"Oh, really, that's a shame because I was just in the mood for some of that," Chameleon grinned, flashing a bright pink, the exact shade that Mrs. Camiolle had been talking about.

"Noooo! Stop!" Dawn cried in fake fear, pretending to swoon.

"Haha! Never!" Chameleon laughed back, her smile lighting up her face. The two girls laughed and continued walking, slightly faster than before, as they were nearly out of their five minute time to get to each class, and they still had a little ways to go until the gym. Suddenly, a blur of black flashed down the hallway, colliding with Dawn and knocking her to the ground. Dawn was confused, and Chameleon scooped her up by the back of her t-shirt and set her on her feet.

"Thanks!" Dawn said, turning to whatever it was that had smacked into her. It was a girl, a girl who was wearing all black and was already back on her feet. She had jet-black hair, pale skin, and strangely enough, bright red eyes. Dawn's eyes moved to what the girl was holding, and saw...

"Cake?!" Chameleon gasped, saying aloud what Dawn had been thinking.

"Sorry, can't stick around," The girl said quickly, flashing them a fanged grin, and continuing her superspeed dash through the halls.

"That was... Definitely weird," Dawn frowned, thoroughly confused. Why would she have an obscene amount of cake cradled in her arms? Furthermore, was that girl a... A... Vampire?!

"Enough about that weird girl, we're going to be late!" Chameleon grabbed Dawn's arm and dragged her along as she began sprinting, her pink skin now flashing bright red in urgency.