Eleven: Stick Figures

ELEVEN: STICK FIGURES

"And why do we fall, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up."

- Thomas Wayne. Batman Begins.

____________________

GRETAL'S ENTIRE BODY FELT LIKE it was going to break into a million pieces. Her entire brain felt raw and with the new info she just discovered. Fuego just saved my life. And he listened to me. There's a chance of making him good. There was a chance to shove Arachne in a prison and kick her ass all the same.

Gretal glanced up when she heard the roars of engines and saw familiar vans. She saw John in his Electric suit, running toward her with electricity sizzing around him. She closed her eyes and felt herself lifted into a pair of arms.

"God, Gretal. I'm sorry, I really am. I-"

She opened her eyes and sighed. "John, chill. Its not your fault. Honestly, its mine. And I really need to thank someone, though-"

Beatrice was racing toward them in her costume too. She knealt down beside them, gently wiping the dirt off Gretal's face. "What the hell happened? Gretal, are you okay? You could've died, oh my-"

Gretal tried to sit up but she winced. Cosby appeared in her line of vision.

"How are you feeling? And what happened?" His eyes narrowed as he glanced at the area.

Gretal shifted in John's arms. "Um, well. Let's say I was sitting on the roof of that bank and then this Destroyer guy came in and started terrorizing people. I came in and fought him. He obviously won since he punched me and I ended up here. By the way, he's like the size of Hulk. Except he's not green. And, yeah, like Beatrice said, I could've died. But then I didn't so I'm fine."

Cosby raised his eyebrows. "And what happened to Destroyer?"

She bit her lip.

John narrowed his eyes. "Davidson, what the hell happened to Destroyer?"

Gretal closed her eyes. "Let's just say I think he's in prison."

"You think?" Cosby said.

John looked down at her. "What happened, Gretal?" He said gently.

Gretal sighed. "I can't tell you. Its my business." Her chest hurt and her body felt warm, thanks to Fuego. She guessed that's how she was still alive. Maybe there was some part of his powers that could heal a bit. She didn't know.

Cosby glared at her. "What the hell happened? If you don't tell me you'll be put into questioning."

Beatrice's head snapped up and she narrowed her eyes at him. "You can't do that! She almost died, Cosby! One person less in your team. You want to find Arachne, right? Well, you need Gretal to do that. Lay off."

Cosby shook his head. "What. Happened."

Gretal sighed. Cosby might as well torture her. But this could be her chance to show them that Fuego was a good guy. And maybe they'll help him. She could take that chance.

"Fuego." Gretal whispered. "Fuego happened."

Cosby rubbed his temples, veins popping. "We can't fucking trust him! I swear-"

Gretal narrowed her eyes. "No."

John narrowed his eyes. "That's why you're burning up, he-"

"Saved me." She finished. "He saved my life. Without him I would be dead right now. He put Destroyer in prison and saved my life. Fuego is the hero, not me. You can take me for questioning, use a lie detector. I don't care. Its the truth. He actually listened to me. There's a chance we can help him and take Arachne down-"